DC Hockey Fans Taunt Tea Party Goalie With Images of Obama
Remember when the Boston Bruins won the Stanley Cup and President Barack Obama invited them to the White House?
I bet you do.
You know Thomas: he’s the guy with big ‘ol “Don’t Tread On Me” on the back of his helmet.
Washington Capital fans are looking to capitalize (pun fully intended) on Thomas’ anti-big government gesture by urging each other to show up to the D.C.-hosted game with signs, posters, and masks of President Obama.
“With noted White House critic Tim Thomas set to visit town, in a kind of important game, several Caps sites decided that Presidential taunting was in order,” the Washington Post’s Dan Steinberg writes.
Some examples that can be found on the Russian Machine Never Breaks blog.
“Please print out a trillion of these [masks] and camp out in front of the glass during warm-ups,” one site reads.
“Cut out the eyeholes on the mask, tie it in front of your ugly mug, and give Thomas a warm welcome to Washington, D.C., the most powerful city on Earth. This is your moment to shine.”
Another site pleads with its readers:
Print it, Print it, Print it. Take it to Game 3 on Monday. Take it down by the glass during warm-ups. If you’re sitting behind a goal, print out enough for your entire section. Thomas may skip the White House, and the real Obama may not attend Caps games, but we can still ensure that this issue that Thomas wants to avoid is right in his face when he comes to D.C.
And just in case you needed a refresher, here’s what Tim Thomas said in an official statement after turning down the White House invite:
I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.
This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.
Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.
This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic. TT
Final thought: there’s no reason to assume it’ll get ugly or that fans will behave any more rowdy than drinking hockey fans usually act. At least, that’s the hope of one of the websites calling for “trillions” of President Obamas to show up at the game:
A parting note: this ain’t about politics. Hockey is for everybody, and that includes tea-partying, Michael Cudlitz-looking fellas like Timmy. We’re just having a laugh and ribbing the other team. As long as we take a deep breath before speaking and keep our senses of humor intact, I think we can do this with some degree of civility. Go team.
Image courtesy Sick, Unbelievable
Update — Although we’re still searching for photos of Caps fans with pictures, masks, and/or signs of the president, it doesn’t look like it phased Tim Thomas.
The Boston Bruins beat the Washington Capitals 4-3.
Update II — Whoa. Okay, definitely found some photos of the game (although it doesn’t look like as many fans showed up with pictures of the president as predicted). All photos via Russian Machine Never Breaks:As we used to say in high school: check the scoreboard.
This article has been updated.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 509 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 464 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 293 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 113 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 214 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 152 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- What vitally important issue is the NY state legislature debating?
- Feel-good story of the day: 3D printers aren’t just for guns
- Obama admin becomes ABC’s ‘Scandal’
- Was Gibson Guitar raid another example of political targeting by Obama DOJ?
- Code Pink protester pretended to be journalist so she could heckle Obama
- Judge orders more monitoring for Cowboys DT
- Damage reported from magnitude-5.7 quake in Calif.
- Syria targeted Israeli jeep going to rebel village
- Nadal could get Djokovic in French Open semifinals
- Woman in Berlusconi case denies her own statements
- Oklahoma gets far more than its share of disasters
- Latest 'Bachelorette' won't say if she's engaged
- Netflix hoping for memorable Memorial Day weekend