Bake Sales, Car Washes Hosted to Help NASA Out With Budget Cuts
Some are upset at the budget cuts NASA has experienced in recent years, thinking it will cause the United States to fall behind in space exploration. In fact, recent reports state China has for the first time surpassed the U.S. in number of rockets launched into orbit within a year as the country has been amping up its space efforts.
What’s a space lover to do besides sit around and bemoan the smaller budget the agency has to work with? How else do people raise money? Bake sales and car washes.
The Southwest Research Institute Planetary Science Directorate is organizing the first National Planetary Exploration Car Wash and Bake Sale. What exactly is this? Here’s the low-down from the event’s website:
When: Saturday, June 9th 2012
Where: Across the Nation!
Who: You! Join us and make Congress and the American public aware of the planetary cuts and the damage they are doing!
So far, several universities, such as CalTech, UCLA, Notre Dame and others, have signed up to host their own subsidiary bake sales and car washes.
While the goal of the event is to raise funds for “planetary research and exploratory institutions,” which will be given with letters to the House or Senate Appropriations Committee, the primary objective is really to gain media attention to promote awareness about the “planetary budget crisis.”
According to the event timeline, the project officially kicked off earlier this month with its website launching on Monday. From here teams are working to employ social and traditional media to spread the word as they prepare for the main festivities in June.
A cookbook will also go on sale April 30 to raise funds for the cause.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 479 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 422 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 383 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 301 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 108 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 112 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 214 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 184 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 111 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Inaugural tournament cut to 54 holes
- One block: How neighbors saw twister's deadly path
- Jennifer Lopez to open cellphone stores
- Kerry: US, allies ready to step up aid to rebels
- A divided Fed wrestles with when to slow bond buys
- Obama to honor Carole King at White House concert
- Twitter adds security measure to logins
- Key House chairman slams Senate immigration bill