Krauthammer Blasts ‘Buffett Rule’: ‘An Embarrassment, It’s So Shameless’
Conservative columnist and commentator Charles Krauthammer summed up President Barack Obama’s so-called Buffett Rule with one simple phrase Friday: “A shiny object.”
“It’s literally incredible,” Krauthammer said on Fox News’ “Hannity.” “It’s almost an embarrassment, it’s so shameless. If you were to collect the Buffett tax for the next 250 years — that’s longer than the life of this republic — you will not have covered the deficit, Obama’s deficit for 2011. You collect it for another 250 years, so we’re now in the year 2612, and you’ve covered 2011 and 2012 and you need to cover only 498 other years of deficits.”
The Buffett Rule, which would have forced millionaires to pay at least 30 percent of their income in taxes, was derailed Monday in the Senate.
“This is a preposterous statement and he know it is,” Krauthammer continued. “On growth, it’s equally deceptive. What the tax is, it’s a doubling of the capital gains tax. It’s disguised, but that’s the reason why the Buffett rates are lower, it’s the capital gains rate and it’s lower than the rate for normal income. So he doubles it. Now the reason that’s not a good idea is because when you double the rate, you actually decrease the amount that the Treasury receives. And you decrease the growth because you are shrinking the pool of capital that’s out there that people can invest and hire other people.
Referring to a 2008 presidential debate in which candidate Obama said he would look at raising the capital gains tax “for purposes of fairness” — despite historical evidence that cutting the tax increased revenue — Krauthammer said Obama has an “abstraction” about taking money from the rich and distributing it elsewhere to affect the general economy.
“It makes no sense,” Krauthammer said. “It’s a misdirection play, it’s a way to have a shiny object.”
“He doesn’t want to talk about what he’s done,” he added. “He’s had the longest over 8 percent unemployment since the Great Depression, he has had the slowest and most anemic recovery of any recession since the second World War. And he’s accumulated in one term the greatest amount of debt, $5 trillion in galactic history. He can’t run on that so instead he’s going to hold the ball over there, a shiny ball and say ‘look over here’ so he doesn’t have to speak about a record which has been an economic disaster.”
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 539 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 493 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 474 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 329 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 298 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 139 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 193 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 135 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Afghan Taliban attack aid group, 2 guards killed
- NBC to air Blake Shelton's benefit for Oklahomans
- Bowie Young takes early lead on short course
- Feds look for temporary fix after I-5 collapse
- News Corp. OKs poison pill, buyback before split
- Toronto mayor says he doesn't smoke crack cocaine
- Damage reported from magnitude-5.7 quake in Calif.
- Patrick: Another Indy 500 'less and less likely'