Soros’ Son Donates $200K To Pro-Obama Jewish PAC
The pro-Obama Jewish group responsible for “The Great Schlep,” the “grassroots” movement responsible for flooding Florida during the 2008 presidential election with young, Jewish Democrats hell-bent on convincing older Jewish voters to support President Obama, received a $200,000 donation from Alexander Soros, son of billionaire George Soros.
“Alexander Soros, the 26-year-old son of the hedge fund magnate and progressive philanthropist, gave the donation to the group known officially as the Jewish Council for Education and Research,” JTA reports.
“With Soros’ gift the group, which is now a super PAC, or political action committee, has raised nearly as much this cycle as it did in the entire 2008 campaign,” the report adds.
“The Great Schlep” is probably most famous for its 2008 viral video of “comedienne” Sarah Silverman imploring young Jewish Democrats to convince their grandparents to vote for then-Sen. Barack Obama.
Silverman seems like a good choice for spokeswoman because, you know,
it’s not like there’s any reason to question her judgement.
“We were able to do a lot last time,” Mik Moore, the group’s treasurer, told the Forward. “But there was a lot we didn’t do, and we’re starting a lot earlier.”
The group hopes to raise $1 million by the end of the election cycle. Hopeful to recapture that viral spark, Moore says the group has also been in touch with Silverman.
“Obama received 78 percent of the Jewish vote in 2008. Republican groups have committed major resources to winning away some of the support, especially in key swing states such as Florida” JTA reports.
“Moore’s group is part of the Democrats’ effort to push back,” the report adds.
A $200,000 donation from a Soros is not a bad place to start.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 574 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 510 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 490 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 376 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 334 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 290 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 257 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 146 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- State report: I-5 bridge had gouges, impact damage
- Soldier's slaying prompts UK security review
- Bowie Young, Cavalleri tied in the Bahamas
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Communications satellite launched into space
- Key figures in racial profiling lawsuit in Ariz
- Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman Scott Weiland
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos