Baptist Leader Delivers Stinging Rebuke to Fellow Christians: ‘We Are Guilty of Our Own Form of Homophobia’
Albert Mohler, president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, made some stirring comments about Christianity and homosexuality that may cause a range of emotions. From general frustration to overwhelming agreement, Mohler’s claim that American Christianity lacks the credibility needed to tackle same-sex marriage will garner diverse responses.
The faith leader’s argument is based on the premise that Christians have largely failed when it comes to confronting same-sex marriage due to their own failure to model successful marriages. In an interview at the “Together for the Gospel Conference” in Louisville, Kentucky, earlier this month, Mohler gave his opinions on the matter.
“We have been very slippery on all kinds of issues in terms of accountability in marriage and about marriage,” he said. “It’s going to take a comprehensive recovery of the Christian church’s conviction that marriage is a gospel issue, a biblical issue, an ecclesiological issue, a church discipline issue, a human flourishing issue.”
These are the latest words to come from a prominent Christian in America regarding how homosexuality can and should be grappled with. Many evangelicals, in particular, stand firmly opposed to homosexual unions, however national opinion, as The Blaze has highlighted, is beginning to become more favorable toward gay marriage overall.
Mohler went on to address the issue’s growing prevalence, saying that churches will have a distinct challenge as the legality of same-sex marriage spreads.
“We’re going to have very significant specific challenges such as what do we do with people who show up and think they are married and we don’t think they are married?” he continued. “What happens when someone presents themselves not only for say membership but for admission to a Christian college or to a seminary or for employment at a Christian school? What rights do Christian churches and Christian denominations and organizations have to say, ‘No, we can’t recognize that as marriage?’”
Following these comments he claimed that the church has made a mistake by viewing sexual sin as a problem that exists outside of the Christian realm. Instead, Mohler claims that everybody — even believers — suffers from this in some way. Additionally, he condemned the sometimes less-than-Biblical methods he believes some churches have used to respond to homosexuality. He even used the oft-dreaded word “homophobia.”
“I’ve gotten in a little bit of trouble for people deliberately misconstruing my words, but I’m going to repeat them again,” he proclaimed. “We are guilty of our own form of homophobia. We are guilty of our own form of ridiculing rather than acting with redemption.”
In illustrating this point, he said that evangelicals have published books that are shameful and that some sermons should serve as “an embarrassment” to Christianity. Rather than fiery rhetoric, he encouraged accuracy and truth in discussions about the complicated issue. In particular, he railed against people who tell those “struggling with same-sex attraction” that they have chosen the so-called plight.
(H/T: Associated Baptist Press)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 422 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 374 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 110 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 207 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 105 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Police: Suicidal jumper's fall kills SKorean girl
- I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river, injuring 3
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- 5 climbers feared dead on world's 3rd highest peak
- Asia stocks extend losses after big sell-off
- 5 climbers missing on world's 3rd highest mountain
- Quick's LA Kings put Sharks on brink with 3-0 win
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash