Caught on Video: Aussie Politician Has No Idea What His PM Said — Supports It Anyway
Here’s a tip (free of charge!): if you’re on national television and you want to stand by something your president/prime minister/chancellor/Grand Poohbah said, make sure you know what they said first. Otherwise, you’ll end up looking like Australian workplace relations minister Bill Shorten.
During a Sky News interview, the politician refused to take a stance on whether the country’s Speaker should be allowed to return to his role after he was accused of sexual harassment and misuse of funds, The Telegraph reports.
“Not knowing what Prime Minister Julia Gillard, who was in Turkey at the time, had said on the topic he chose nonetheless to wholeheartedly agree with it,” the report adds.
“I haven’t seen what she’s said, but let me say I support what it is she said,” he told interviewer David Speers.
“Hang on, you haven’t seen what she said?” Speers asked.
Shorten nodded: “But I support what my Prime Minister said.”
Speers asked Shorten for his personal view.
“My view is what the Prime Minister’s view is,” Shorten said.
Really? He has no idea what the PM said but he supports it anyway? Wow, it’s kind of a reverse Rufus T. Firefly:
“Surely you must have your own view on this,” Speers persisted.
“No, when you ask me if I’ve got a view on this, it’s such a general question, it invites me to go to lots of places,” Shorten meekly replied.
No. No, we’re pretty sure the question was specific: should Peter Slipper be allowed to return to the Speaker’s chair even though he has been accused of sexual misconduct and is currently under investigation for misuse of funds. That sounds pretty specific to us.
Shorten stuck to his guns and reiterated his point: “I’m sure she’s right.”
Oh, and in case you were wondering what Shorten was agreeing with: the Australian PM said she believes Slipper should be reinstated in accordance with “a clear set of precedents where people have continued to function in their office while the subjects of civil matters,” Gawker’s Neetzan Zimmerman writes.
Shorten probably should have figured that out before going on TV.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 497 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 479 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 383 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 320 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 183 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 315 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 126 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Senator: Assaults let military culture continue
- WHO: Scientific red tape mars efforts vs. virus
- Obama lifts ban on Guantanamo transfers to Yemen
- Wyden: FracFocus a 'constructive' tool on drilling
- Heat, Pacers say Game 2 should be even better
- Tea party storm largely inside IRS _ so far
- Kids, teachers from devastated school reunite
- Coded goal: RG3 still aiming for Redskins' opener