Report: Egypt’s Proposed ‘Farewell Intercourse Law’ Dismissed as ‘Complete Nonsense’
Recent reports that Egypt’s parliament is working on a law that would permit husbands to have sex with their newly-deceased wives have been dismissed as “complete nonsense,” according to the Daily Mail.
Citing “sources inside the Egyptian Embassy in London,” the Mail reported Friday the claims were “completely false,” “forbidden in Islam” and that those interviewed “could never imagine it happening.” While not an official rebuttal, an embassy source told the site no such proposal had reached parliament, though acknowledged “it could be the work of an extremist politician.”
According to the journalism institution Poynter, reports of the “farewell intercourse law” first surfaced in an opinion piece published in Egypt’s state newspaper Al Ahram. It gained traction once it was picked up by the English-language Al Arabiya — which described it as “allowing a husband to have sex with his dead wife within six hours of her death” — and then quickly appeared in the Daily Mail, the Huffington Post, Andrew Sullivan’s blog and elsewhere.
The Christian Science Monitor on Thursday blasted the claims as “utter hooey,” stating, “inflammatory claims, need at minimum some evidence….The evidence right now? Zero.”
The English news site Tunisia Live on Friday similarly reported on the pushback to the reports, citing an Egyptian political activist who said “There is no law and no draft”:
He also explained that Egyptian journalist Sarah Carr has investigated the matter, and has said that what is being called the “farewell intercourse law” originated with a talk given by an Egyptian media personality, and has no bases in the discussions of actual MPs, at least in the public sphere.
As Poynter noted, news sites have since started updating their reports with concerns that the story is false and possibly planted by loyalists of ousted President Hosni Mubarak to discredit the Egyptian government.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 555 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 506 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 481 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 334 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 223 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 231 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 141 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- NYC lawsuit alleging Favre sent racy texts settled
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees tragedy behind him
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Report: Yahoo, pay-TV operators among Hulu bidders
- Principal recounts storm hitting Oklahoma school
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- McIlroy, Donald miss cut at BMW PGA Championship
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US