Massive Layoffs Coming to Wall Street?
As if the markets weren’t volatile enough already.
“Consultants and Wall Street recruiters say banks could eliminate nearly 21,000 jobs from their securities divisions in New York alone,” Fortune reports.
21,000? Do you know what that means?
“That would be a bloodbath on par with the one that occurred during the financial crisis; 28,000 were eliminated in that purge, but that number included jobs lost in the collapse of Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers,” writes Newser’s Kevin Spak.
Recruiters say the larger financial firms are putting the finishing touches on their downsizing plans and that the layoffs aren’t too far off.
Luckily, there’s a silver lining: even though the larger firms are preparing to fire hundreds if not thousands of employees, smaller investment banks are still hiring. This could potentially offset the major layoffs.
“Hiring is going on, it’s just not by the big banks,” says a top Wall Street recruiter Gary Goldstein, according to Fortune.
Still, this story points to two large problems: larger financial institutions hire more employees than they need and they fail to make the appropriate cuts when necessary. So here we are in 2012 and we’re talking about 21,000 people getting the axe because of poor planning. As the Fortune report notes, the entire situation points to the unpleasant reality that Wall Street operates on an inadequate staffing model.
“Last week, The Boston Consulting Group released a report that predicted banks would eliminate 12 [percent] of their workforce in the ‘short-term,’” Fortune reports, “Recruiters say those numbers sound similar to what they are hearing from the large firms.”
On the list of firms most likely to make deep cuts in their investment banking divisions is Credit Suisse, Bank of America, and Barclays. Overall, recruiters expect all of the banks to make cuts (just not as deep as the aforementioned three).
“Banks haven’t come up with a model that makes up the profits they used to get from propriety trading, CDOs and other structure deals they used to do,” says Goldstein. “I have heard about a lot of people who didn’t get the promotions they were expecting. That’s usually a sign that banks are getting ready to get rid of people.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 463 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 317 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 256 Comments
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 231 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance Read More
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 180 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? 102 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 122 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 104 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 140 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Mortar lands in Congo as UN chief arrives
- Zimbabwe's president signs new constitution
- Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor over Greuel
- South Sudan warns it may shut down oil flow again
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- Czech president settles dispute over gay rights
- Vatican releases 1st report of financial watchdog
- UK eyes giving visas to 600 Afghan interpreters