‘One of the Most Despicable Things You Can Do’: What Made Arianna Huffington Take Romney’s Side Over Obama?
Liberal commentator and online media entrepreneur Arianna Huffington appeared on CBS “This Morning” Monday, where she took a surprising stance on the so-called “spiking the football” ad focusing on the death of Osama bin Laden, released by the Obama campaign over the weekend.
“I agree with the Romney campaign, that using the Osama bin Laden assassination, killing, the great news that we had a year ago, in order to say basically that Obama did it and Romney might not have done it … .I don’t think there should be an ad about that,” Huffington told the panel, going on to say that she was not opposed to media coverage of the terrorist’s capture and death, “But to turn it into a campaign ad is one of the most despicable things you can do.”
The Obama campaign video in question features former President Bill Clinton applauding President Obama for the death of Osama bin Laden.
“That’s one thing that George Bush said that was right,” Clinton humbly opens the video with. “The president is the ‘decider-in-chief’, nobody can make that decision for you” Clinton says, as the video cuts between photos from within the situation room on that iconic day last May. Clinton says Obama took “the harder and more honorable path, that, in my opinion, produced the best result.” The video than cuts to a screen that reads “which path would Mitt Romney have taken?” followed by quotes from Romney insinuating that he would not have made the same call as President Obama.
On NBC’s “Meet the Press” Sunday, top Romney campaign adviser Ed Gillespie called the video and allegation a ”divisive, partisan, political attack.”
“I think most Americans will see it as the sign of a desperate campaign,” he continued.
On Monday, Huffington went on to compare the controversial video to the “3 a.m. call” ad released by Hillary Clinton attacking then candidate Obama during the 2008 Democratic primary campaign.
Huffington said such ads make “politicians and political leaders act irrationally when it comes to matters of war because they’re so afraid to be called wimps, that they make decisions, which are incredible destructive for the country.”
“I’m sure the president would not have escalated in Afghanistan if he was not as concerned, as Democrats are, that Republicans are going to use not escalating against him in a campaign,” she said.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 594 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 498 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 397 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 338 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 333 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 290 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Balloons bring smiles in war-weary Afghan capital
- Kerry makes sub-Saharan Africa visit
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Jury foreman says life or death decision unfair
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos
- Mosque blast kills 12 in eastern Afghanistan
- No quick fix for downed bridge on holiday weekend
- 16 children, 1 teacher dead in Pakistan bus fire