Who’s ready for a seven-minute long documentary about all the great things President Barack Obama has accomplished? As we first noted on the blog, the president’s campaign thinks the country is.
Obama’s campaign team has released a new ad, and it begins by reminding the viewer that he inherited a really, really bad economy from President George W. Bush. From there, the mini-documentary launches into a litany of all the things President Obama has been able to achieve despite opposition from the “violent,” “angry,” and “racist” Tea Party. You know, the people who said “America’s best days were behind us,” according to the ad.
“But instead of working together to lift America up, Republicans were waging a campaign to tear the president down,” the ad claims over pictures of conservative commentators Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and Sean Hannity.
Later in the video, after singling out Republican politicians including House Speaker John Boehner and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, the mini-documentary reveals the Obama reelection campaign’s new slogan: “forward.”
If you think that sounds awfully familiar, consider MSNBC’s marketing phrase “lean forward.”
And weren’t those ads directed by Spike Lee?
Here are just a few of the other things the video boasts about:
- The ad claims the president’s stimulus saved 4.2 million jobs. Those estimates are questionable at best.
- The ad claims President Obama “saved” the auto companies. Depending on your definition of “saved,” that claim is true. But it’s important to note that the bailouts came at a huge price — and we’re not just talking financially.
- The ad touts the fact that the president’s healthcare bill make “contraception coverage guaranteed.” But the ad says nothing of the fact that the HHS’ controversial mandate and its unconstitutional burden on private Catholic institutions.
- The ad gleefully claims wind and solar power production has doubled. Like the bailout claim, this point is true. Production has doubled but only at a monumental cost to the taxpayers.
- The mini-documentary claims the president is something of a crusader for equal pay for women. However, his own cabinet members might disagree with this.
- “Don’t ask don’t tell? History,” the ad says. True, “DADT” has been overturned but, again, at what cost?
- And, of course, President Obama killed Bin Laden (bet you didn’t know that).
But that’s not all! The president also fought credit card companies, reformed Wall Street, and passed the his signature health care bill.
Here’s the video:
Update: The Mitt Romney campaign has just released an ad that seems to challenge the assertions made in the above. The theme of the video is “broken promises.”
The YouTube description reads: “President Obama’s budget projects that the deficit for the current year will total $1.33 trillion, the fourth straight year of deficits over $1 trillion. Under President Obama, the nation’s total public debt has reached a record $15.6 trillion.”
This article has been updated.