Is This Hockey Jersey Racist? Take Our Blaze Poll
Last week we asked for your thoughts about a political cartoon that showed President Obama allegedly cooking a dog as the First Lady objected. Some screamed (literally) that the cartoon was “racist.” Our Blaze poll showed otherwise. Ninety-nine percent of the responses to our poll said the cartoon was not racist in any way.
This week, another story has popped up that has us asking a similar question.
A hockey fan in Philadelphia was spotted wearing this jersey at a recent playoff game. The #17 is worn by Wayne Simmonds, a forward for the Flyers. So, we’re wondering, is this jersey racist?
Yahoo’s Greg Wyshynski offers his thoughts, including some background:
Now, the first question is whether this jersey makes you laugh. At face, it did not make me laugh. Had it read “Ya Know, The Black Guy?”, then it would have made me chuckle. Harrison Mooney, Puck Daddy associate editor and self-identified “person of color,” said “The Black Guy” made him laugh but that “Token” would have made him laugh harder. (He watches a lot of South Park.)
Look, we all just went through something with Joel Ward this week that makes a jersey like this wicked awkward. Not to mention Simmonds’ own problems with racial “humor” earlier this season. Maybe you find it funny. Maybe you find it offensive. Maybe you’re saying “typical Philadelphia”, or maybe you’re saying, “Oh crap, this is going to make people say ‘typical Philadelphia.’” Maybe you’re saying “but what if they had re-signed Ray Emery? Would the jersey have to be amended to “A Black Guy”?
The “racial humor” he’s talking about happened in September, when a fan threw a banana peel on the ice during a game.
“When you’re a black man playing in a predominantly white man’s sport, you’ve got to come to expect things like that,” Simmonds said at the time. “Over the past 23 years of my life, I’ve come to expect some things like that. But I’m older and more mature now, I kind of just left things roll off [my back]. I try not to think about stuff like that.”
Despite the fact that professional hockey has been racially integrated since 1958, it still seems unusual when we see a non-white hockey player on the ice. Why is that? Perhaps it is statistically based?
The NHL has 30 teams and each is allowed a roster of 23 players. That puts the total number of active, professional hockey players in the NHL at 690. Based on varying reports (the NHL doesn’t list players by race), there are fewer than 30 black players in the pro hockey league, or less than 5%.
Just because the NHL is not integrating as quickly as other pro sports seem to have done, is it okay to point out the lack racial diversity in hockey?
What’s your opinion?
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 512 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 474 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 465 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 324 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 293 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 119 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 218 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Judge orders more monitoring for Cowboys DT
- Damage reported from magnitude-5.7 quake in Calif.
- Syria targeted Israeli jeep going to rebel village
- Nadal could get Djokovic in French Open semifinals
- Woman in Berlusconi case denies her own statements
- Oklahoma gets far more than its share of disasters
- Latest 'Bachelorette' won't say if she's engaged
- Netflix hoping for memorable Memorial Day weekend