Report: Five Anarchists Arrested for Allegedly Trying to Blow Up a Cleveland-Area Bridge, Had Similar Attacks Planned in Chicago
The FBI has arrested five individuals described as “anarchists” after they allegedly conspired to blow up a Cleveland-area bridge, and wage similar attacks in Chicago in coordination with the upcoming NATO summit.
The group– at least three members of which are self-declared anarchists, according to authorities– decided to bomb the Route 82 Brecksville-Northfield High Level Bridge with C-4 as their first attack, after considering a number of other plots.
“After the Ohio attacks,” ABC writes, “the men would focus on waging similar assaults in Chicago during the upcoming NATO summit, according to FBI Special Agent Ryan Taylor…the five anarchists wanted body armor, helmets and gas masks to wear in Chicago, which was ‘the main place they were worried about having the protective gear because there is no telling what they might have to use there.’” [Emphasis added]
Suspect Douglas Wright is quoted by the FBI as predicting that a “s–t load” of anarchists would go to Chicago after leaving the Cleveland area “a pile of rubble and ashes,” as anarchists in every major city throughout the country will ultimately be “rioting and destroying each city.” [Emphasis added]
A written statement on the case elaborates that Douglas L. Wright, Brandon L. Baxter, and Anthony Hayne were arrested by the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force on charges of conspiracy and attempted use of explosive materials to damage physical property affecting interstate commerce. Charges against Connor C. Stevens, and Joshua S. Stafford are pending.
While the violent plot may not be officially related to Occupy Wall Street’s “May Day” plans, a quick search of the suspects’ Facebook pages shows that at least two of the individuals describe themselves as having worked at “Occupy Cleveland.”
Moreover, their names have shown up in various news reports in connection to the Occupy movement. Anthony Hayne is pictured in a Lakewood Patch article holding a sign saying, “We Are Still Here #Occupy Cleveland,” and Brandon Baxter makes his opinion known in this Cleveland.com report (and here’s a picture of him from “Captured Cleveland,” a site that claims to capture Cleveland through photographs).
In an NYPD memo, police note that the Occupy movement embraces “diversity of tactics,” so that, presumably, certain factions can be more “disruptive” while others remain moderately presentable, though The Wall Street Journal is reporting that the suspects did complain to authorities that “Occupy” was not violent enough.
While the group is “intent on using violence to express their ideological views,” in the words of the Special Agent in charge of the Cleveland division of the FBI, authorities insist that there was never any danger to the public, as the group was under close surveillance.
“The defendants took specific and defined actions to further a terrorist plot,” U.S. Attorney Dettelbach commented. “The defendants stand charged based not upon any words or beliefs they might espouse, but based upon their own plans and actions.”
This is a breaking story. Updates will be added.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 578 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 515 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 492 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 384 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 308 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 265 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 148 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom