‘Real News From The Blaze’: The Life of Julia
Do you know Julia?
She hit the scene Thursday and is here to save the Obama campaign against big, mean, Mitt Romney.
“The Life of Julia” is a 12-part slideshow posted on the official Obama/Biden campaign website Thursday, that illustrates an American girl trying to maker her way through life encountering at each stage a situation where things would be seemingly much easier with the policies of Barack Obama, as opposed to Mitt Romney. The slideshow doesn’t resist in taking jabs at “The Romney/Ryan budget,” giving thanks to Obamacare for allowing 25-year-olds to stay on their parents insurance, and knocking Mitt Romney’s decision to support the Blunt Amendment–”Which would place Julia’s health care decisions in the hands of her employer.”
As in, force her employer to take on the additional costs of covering her birth control.
Since its release the glorified powerpoint presentation has predictably been a hot topic of discussion among political commentators.
“Let’s, for the purposes of this post, set aside the misleading generalizations regarding policy in the ad (no one is innocent on that account, obviously),” Human Events’s David Harsanyi writes in his column Thursday “Who the hell is ‘Julia,’ and why am I paying for her whole life?”
“What we are left with is a celebration of a how a woman can live her entire life by leaning on government intervention, dependency and other people’s money rather than her own initiative or hard work. It is, I’d say, implicitly un-American, in the sense that it celebrates a mindset we have — outwardly, at least — shunned.”
“Obama is setting forward a vision contrary to the American tradition of self-sufficiency–a welfare state that runs from cradle to grave, ” James Taranto writes on WSJ.com, going on to slam the slideshow for its presentation of Julia as a mother, never mentioning whether or not the composite girl got married.
“‘The Life of Julia’ is an insidious attack on the institution of the family, an endorsement of bureaugamy even for middle-class women,” Taranto writes.
The “Real News” panel Friday was also unmoved by “The Life of Julia.”
“We always talk about the cradle to the grave society,” Andrew Wilkow said Friday. “Here it is.
“The choices that we are being given under this dynamic are either central planning or Nihilism.”
Matt McCall noted that the $10,000 grant to Julia for college from President Obama’s American Opportunity Tax Credit featured in the ad, which Mitt Romney would allow to expire, is not much to celebrate considering how far $2,500 a year will get you with today’s tuition ranging from $40,000 to $50,000 a year.
“Ten thousands dollars, I hate to break it to you President Obama, is not going to change her decision (to go to college),” McCall said.
As the discussion progressed through the stages of Julia’s life, it became clear that while the ad art may only be so-so, “The Life of Julia’s” message is a fantastic illustration of the entitlement society which conservatives stand against.
“At no point do we see Julia taking control of her own life,” Wilkow noted.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 380 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 111 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 210 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 105 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Japan's PM Abe defends policies as markets settle
- Survey: German consumer confidence rises strongly
- Earthquake hits Russia's Far East
- Police: Suicidal jumper's fall kills SKorean girl
- I-5 bridge collapses into Wash. river, injuring 3
- Oil falls below $94 on weak outlook for demand
- 5 climbers feared dead on world's 3rd highest peak
- Asia stocks extend losses after big sell-off