Former Attorney General Mukasey: ‘Highly Lawyered’ Memo Would Have Blamed Failed OBL Raid on Navy Admiral
Former Attorney General Michael Mukasey told Fox News’ Sean Hannity Monday that, if the Osama bin Laden raid were to fail, a “highly lawyered” memo would see to it that the blame fell squarely on the shoulders of Navy Admiral William McRaven, the commander of Joint Special Operations Command at the time of the raid.
The news follows weeks of the president commemorating the anniversary of Osama bin Laden’s death and, many say, taking the credit for himself.
A transcript of Mukasey and Hannity’s conversation explains:
MUKASEY: …You better believe if anything else had been encountered and the mission had failed, then the blame would have fallen on McRaven. That’s what that is about.
HANNITY: So, in other words, here the president’s now — everything worked out in this case. But he had put in place a CYA that if it went wrong, McRaven would have been the fall guy.
MUKASEY: That was a highly lawyered memo.
HANNITY: Wow. So you are saying this was designed to protect the president politically.
MUKASEY: I think there is going to be more that comes tumbling out about that escapade. But, so far, that memo is enough.
Here is video of the entire interaction:
In a Wall Street Journal article titled, “Michael Mukasey: Obama and the bin Laden Bragging Rights,” Mukasey wrote that it would be “hard to imagine” men like Lincoln or Eisenhower comporting themselves as Obama did after the bin Laden raid, “claiming such credit for the heroic actions of others.”
“Consider the way he emphasized his own role in the hazardous mission accomplished by SEAL Team 6,” Mukasey explained.
“I directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority . . . even as I continued our broader effort. . . . Then, after years of painstaking work by my intelligence community I was briefed . . . I met repeatedly with my national security team . . . And finally last week I determined that I had enough intelligence to take action. . . . Today, at my direction . . .,” Obama is quoted as saying.
Detractors of the president are left pointing out how indicative it is of someone’s character when they selectively take credit and re-assign blame.
Eisenhower wrote up a similar memo in the event the Battle of Normandy failed, according to Mukasey. In it, he took full responsibility if anything were to go wrong.
However, after it became clear that the move was a success, he only mentioned himself once.
He said, “I’m proud of you.”
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 592 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 393 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 337 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 328 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 286 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan