‘Easily the Most Insane Animal Footage’: What Is This Strange Underwater Creature?
You may think what you see at 20 seconds into the video below is just a little jelly fish. But wait — you’re about to be taken on a ride where you’ll see it grow, morph, undulate and still won’t know quite what this confounding, “easily the most insane animal footage ever caught on an undersea camera” is.
Check it out:
As the film rolls on, the creature appears to be getting bigger. At 57 seconds what you saw flash by at the beginning of the footage reappears. Things start to get even more visually interesting when an organ of the creature (or perhaps it’s dinner inside its gut) comes into view around 1:51. At this point, you also have a better view of the texture and pattern of the filmy organism’s exterior.
It’s hard to tell if it is moving itself or is dead and simply moving based on ocean currents.
Reddit users have poured over the topic with suggestions as to what the creature could be ranging from a plastic bag to an alien to a whale placenta to the more plausible jellyfish. The Huffington Post reports it could very well be a Deepstaria enigmata jellyfish:
According to the Marine Species Identification Portal, the Deepstaria enigmata is found in the South Atlantic Ocean, with a bell that can measure up to 60cm in diameter.
It has “oral arms” which end in “curious hook-shaped organs.”
This type of jellyfish is “imperfectly known” because specimens of it have been damaged. It is unclear where this original footage was actually taken, but according to the timestamp, it appears to have been recorded on April 25.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 592 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 521 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 497 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 393 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 337 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 330 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 286 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 152 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Syria regime unleashes artillery barrage on Qusair
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Gas cylinder blast on Pakistan school bus kills 17
- Late turnovers doom Heat in Game 2 loss, 97-93
- Pacers steal Game 2 from Heat, 97-93
- Official: 2 dead after Angel Flight crashes in NY
- Militants attacks kill 9 in Pakistan