Obama: Same-Sex Marriage Should Be Legal
President Barack Obama believes same-sex marriage should be legal, the first American president to say so.
“I’ve been going through an evolution on this issue,” Obama told ABC News Wednesday. “At a certain point, I’ve just concluded that for me personally, it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married.”
Obama had formally opposed same-sex marriage, though in recent years said he was “evolving.”
“I have hesitated on gay marriage in part because I thought that civil unions would be sufficient,” he said. “I was sensitive to the fact that for a lot of people the word marriage was something that evokes very powerful traditions, religious beliefs and so forth.”
He told ABC his views evolved amid conversations with his own staff, openly gay service members and his wife and daughters.
“Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated different,” Obama said. “It doesn’t make sense to them and frankly, that’s the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective.”
Obama said his views are his own personal position and that he still supports the rights of states to make their own laws deciding the issue.
Polling shows Americans are deeply divided over whether same-sex marriage should be legal. A Gallup poll released Tuesday said 50 percent believe it should be recognized, with the same rights as traditional marriages, while 48 percent believe it should not be legal.
The issue became front-and-center news this week after Vice President Joe Biden said he was “absolutely comfortable” with same-sex marriage.
This post has been updated since it was first published.
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 453 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 362 Comments
- This Could Be the Most Haunting Statistic You’ll Ever See 275 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 102 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich 105 Comments
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 121 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California 134 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- Suspected rebels kill 28, wound 24 in east India
- Cain stops Bigfoot in 1st round, defends UFC title
- Report: New controversy at scandal-scarred Rutgers
- 2 rockets hit Lebanese Hezbollah stronghold
- Spurs take 3-0 lead, beat Grizzlies 104-93 in OT
- Blackhawks beat Red Wings 4-1 to stay alive
- Search for pilot in deadly NY Angel Flight ongoing
- QB Golson no longer enrolled at Notre Dame