‘The Lovitz Curve’: The Chart That Shows Hollywood Dems Can Only Take So Much Class Warfare
Playing off Arthur Laffer’s groundbreaking work on tax rates and revenue generation, a recent article from popular PJ Media blogger “Zombie” theorizes that wealthy, left-leaning donors will abandon President Barack Obama if he continues to double down on the whole anti-”1 percent” thing.
Named after the famous “Laffer Curve,” they’re calling it the “Lovitz Curve.”
But perhaps we should explain a little bit more about the “Laffer Curve.” Let’s turn to the Zombie’s article for a simple and succinct explanation:
…the Laffer Curve was a brilliantly simple economic graph which demonstrated that government revenue grows as taxes are increased only up to a certain point, after which revenues begin to decline as tax rates approach 100%.
The high point on the graph (below) represents the optimum rate of taxation. Anything left or right of center results in a reduction of generated revenues.
But what’s the reasoning behind Laffer’s proposition? Again, we turn to Zombie for the explanation:
Obviously if tax rates are 0%, then the government will collect no tax revenue; but if tax rates are 100%, then the government will almost certainly also collect no tax revenue, because there would be no motivation for anyone to work, earn or invest, since all their income would go directly to the government.
A tax rate of 100% may sound tempting at first, but since it would precipitate an economic collapse, the end result would be no economic activity to tax, and thus no revenue. Therefore, the most effective tax rate is somewhere in the middle.
So now that we understand how the “Laffer Curve” works and the theory behind it, we can turn to the “Lovitz Curve.”
Zombie came up with the “Lovitz Curve” after actor and comedian Jon Lovitz, a professed Democrat and supporter or President Barack Obama, went off on his now-famous “bulls**t” rant against the president’s economic policies.
Apparently, the whole “fair share,” “play by the rules,” and let’s tax “millionaires and billionaires,” thing can be taken too far. Lovitz and a few other left-leaning Hollywood types (who he says are too afraid to speak out) are finding their breaking point, or so says the article.
The “Lovitz Curve” argues that that many in people in Hollywood and other affluent, left-leaning areas of America enjoy, support, and appreciate rhetoric that rails against “corporate fat cats” and the greedy “1 percent.” However, the confiscation of wealth via high taxes will eventually include the Hollywood types.
“Wealthy West Coast liberals will cheer on and swoon over any politician who engages in overheated class warfare rhetoric — up until a certain point, when it suddenly dawns on them that the rhetoric is aimed directly at themselves,” the article points out.
“Then very quickly their donations, fundraisers and helpful propagandizing start to dry up as the radical rhetoric begins to threaten them personally,” the article adds.
So based on the theory that left-leaning celebrities will only support anti-wealthy dialogue to a certain point, we present Zombie’s “The Lovitz Curve”:
“[T]he Lovitz Curve is going to be a rude awakening for the Obama campaign,” the article adds.
He and his strategists had thought that they could amp up the class warfare rhetoric to the absolute maximum and still count on unquestioned support and unlimited donations from the Hollywood elite. But Jon Lovitz’s game-changing rant brought them crashing down to Earth; turns out that the wealthy liberals have acquired a taste for luxury, and their guilt-assuaging support for the proletariat has a limit. Obama unwittingly crossed that line, and he learned the hard way that the curve’s drop-off…is steep and pitiless as you approach Leninhood.
Now although the graph and the idea behind it is pretty humorous, it raises a good question: At what point will wealthy Democrat donors realize that a lot of this amped-up, anti-“1 percent” rhetoric will eventually be aimed at them?
Will they realize the implications of anti-wealthy rhetoric and have their own Lovitz-style rant, or will they continue to go on supporting the White House’s crusade against people who aren’t “paying their fair share”?
By the way, Zombie has another variation of the “Lovitz Curve” he says is more accurate. See it here.
This article has been updated.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,034 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 310 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 251 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 142 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 104 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Asia stocks rise as Fed official backs easy policy
- Sharks tie series with 2-1 win over Kings
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview
- North Korea sends leader's special envoy to China
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Pakistani cricket star politician leaves hospital
- Ai Weiwei uses music to mock state power in China
- Egypt TV: 7 security men kidnapped in Sinai freed