MSNBC Guest Suggests Romney Wear ‘Scarlet B’ if Bullying Allegations Are True
Al Sharpton argued on his show Politics Nation that it is “essential” to determine Mitt Romney’s character in light of the recent allegations of high school bullying.
Describing the controversy, Sharpton declared: “All of us could say, ‘why go back to someone 18 years old’… but the reaction, his response, is like ‘I don’t remember’ even when graphic details is described by others that were there. I think that’s the character question…”
Sharpton’s guest, syndicated columnist Bob Franken, responded that the claim Romney doesn’t remember could possibly “feed” the idea that Romney is either a “liar or a deceiver.”
“To dismiss all of this as a prank…when we’re talking about what was arguably criminal assault, and arguably something that if he did remember it, there should not just be an apology but some sort of expression of shame…somebody who was a bully, as we now know, can possibly have a negative influence on a person’s whole life, and as a matter of fact, the victim of this assault is somebody who drifted through the rest of life and died of liver cancer. You almost want to think that somebody who is so guilty of bullying should carry a scarlet ‘B’ on his forehead until he meaningfully apologizes,” he said [Emphasis added].
Watch the video, via Hot Air Pundit, below:
Which leaves many asking– is Bob Franken actually implying that Mitt Romney’s theoretical high school bullying–in which he supposedly made fun of the boy’s hair– resulted in this man “drifting” through the rest of his life, to eventually die of liver cancer? While he was careful to say, “if this is true,” the insinuation is pretty clear.
And a “Scarlet B,” in the form of Hester Prynne? Confused by the analogy, some ask whether bullying has become as morally ostracizing as adultery once was.
The family of the alleged bully victim has spoken out to say they are aggrieved that the man’s memory is being used to further a political agenda, and, indeed, the portrayal of him is “factually incorrect.”
(H/T: Hot Air Pundit)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 581 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 519 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 496 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 387 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 336 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 314 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 268 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 150 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- No shave for Johnson after Nats top Phillies 5-2
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US