What They Don’t Mention: Laid Off Steelworker in Anti-Romney Ad Was Offered A Buyout
Have you seen the Obama reelection campaign’s new anti-Romney commercial?
The ad, which is slated to run in Pennsylvania, Iowa, Ohio, Virginia, and Colorado, focuses on GS Technologies, a steel mill in Kansas City, Mo., that went bankrupt and closed under Bain Capital.
The ad is pretty heavy on the class warfare rhetoric (“Those [Bain Capital] guys were all rich. They all have more money then they’ll ever spend”) and light on reasons for why the alternative to Romney is any better.
Featured prominently in the anti-Romney ad is a former steel worker named Joe Soptic. As it turns out, Soptic is no stranger to “the anti-Bain beat,” as the Washington Examiner’s Charlie Spiering puts it.
“In January, Soptic complained to Democracy Now, a liberal non-profit TV station, that when the steel company he worked for was bought out, they tried to buy him out,” Spiering reports.
While interviewing on Democracy Now, Soptic said: “I guess the first thing I noticed that when the company was bought out by GST, They became very union non-friendly, they started looking for ways to eliminate jobs.”
“In my case in my department, they actually offered to buy our jobs out from underneath us [emphasis added],” he added.
Soptic also told his interviewer that he was angry because his pension was cut. He went on to clarify that although his 401k was untouched, he still lost $400 a month from his pension.
However, that $400 figure is $117 more than what he told Reuters in a January 2012 story. In the Reuters report, he said he was losing $283 per month from his pension.
Within hours, “Team Romney” responded to the GS Technologies ad with something, well, a little less resentful and a little more positive:
Oh, and it should be pointed out that the layoffs at GS Technologies occurred a full two years after Romney quit the day-to-day operations of Bain Capital to head the Salt Lake City Olympics, the Daily Caller reports.
So, yeah, the ad’s timeline is off just a little bit.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 509 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 471 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 464 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 293 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Organization? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand on the Major Change) Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 115 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 215 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- What vitally important issue is the NY state legislature debating?
- Feel-good story of the day: 3D printers aren’t just for guns
- Obama admin becomes ABC’s ‘Scandal’
- Was Gibson Guitar raid another example of political targeting by Obama DOJ?
- Code Pink protester pretended to be journalist so she could heckle Obama
- Judge orders more monitoring for Cowboys DT
- Damage reported from magnitude-5.7 quake in Calif.
- Syria targeted Israeli jeep going to rebel village
- Nadal could get Djokovic in French Open semifinals
- Woman in Berlusconi case denies her own statements
- Oklahoma gets far more than its share of disasters
- Latest 'Bachelorette' won't say if she's engaged
- Netflix hoping for memorable Memorial Day weekend