Swamp People, Hippies, Hijabs, and a Gay Couple: See How the Obama Admin Is Branding America Abroad (& the LGBT Adviser Who’s Behind It!)
Last week, President Obama made history by being the first sitting president to publicly support gay marriage. Now, his administration is the first to openly advertise homosexuality around the globe as an “American ideal.” The Blaze has uncovered documents that show how central gay rights themes have been to the administration and how they are being used by the administration to propagate a rebranding of America and its values.
Two years ago, the Travel Promotion Act of 2010 established the Corporation for Travel Promotion, or Brand USA. This “public-private entity” was tasked with “rekindling the world’s love affair with the USA – the place, the spirit, and the dream,” according to Brand USA’s CEO Jim Evans. Brand USA is funded by new taxes imposed on tourists visiting the U.S. and is governed by an 11-member board of directors appointed by Obama’s Secretary of Commerce.
Brand USA has recently come out with a series of ads, playing now in the UK, Japan and Canada, that craft a new vision of America for the world to see. The ads are intended to ”open up some minds as to what America really is,” according to Anne Madison, a Brand USA spokesperson.
But the new ads, titled “Land of Dreams,” deviate alarmingly from the patriotic baseball, apple pie and picket fence vision of “traditional” America. In fact, the only cowboy featured in the ad is…raking a beach?
The ads are a dizzying whirlwind of sequences and peculiar staged events, some confoundedly foreign to what might be considered an “American experience.”For example, the ad attempts to define America with scenes such as: a man raking a huge sand pattern alone on a beach, two Muslim women in hijabs shopping in New York City, a Hindu festival, a Hispanic biker gang, a traditional African bongo circle under a bridge, a Cuban low-rider parade, a pony-tailed old man in a canoe in a swamp, an interracial marriage ceremony, an Asian grandmother riding a Harley through the forest, a man catching a hawk whilst parachuting over a cliff, and what seems to be a colorful-hippie-powder-blowing-festival (see below).
Two hot political topics are blatantly showcased in the ad. First, it could be mistaken as simply a “visit New Orleans” campaign, with seemingly every other scene including a creole shot from the French Quarter. Ironic, since New Orleans was ranked one of the 10 most dangerous cities in the world this year, despite being the recipient of $142 billion in engorged tax payer spending. Also, the incidence of armed robbery in New Orleans has increased 71% since last year, a national record, and not exactly where you want to send your tourists.
Second, in a prominent scene, two gay men are shown riding a trolley together, one sleeping on the other’s shoulder. And the actors featured in the scene are a gay couple who were specifically recruited for a “homosexual presence” in the ad. According to an interview with Outsmart Magazine, the two actors, Edward R. Cox and Gideon Hodge, are to be “Face of Gay America to the World.” In the interview, the actors gushed over the role:
“They told us this was the first-ever travel commercial for America. And they wanted gay representation in it!”
The direct connection from the administration to the controversial commercials has now come to light through Obama official John Connor. Connor presently serves as Obama’s Director of the Office of White House Liaison at the United States Department of Commerce. He is openly gay and was in charge of Obama’s LGBT outreach efforts in the northeastern United States during the 2008 Presidential campaign.
Recent documents uncovered by The Blaze show that Mr. Connor was tasked with creating and organizing Brand USA. Connor is named in Brand USA’s incorporation papers, and hand-selected every director on their board.
It seems that the Administration’s vision of America is roundly represented in the creation and promotion of these commercials. Soon, ten countries will have the ads flooding their airwaves, with more foreign marketplaces to come. $12.3 million dollars will be spent to promote the ads, not including production costs.
See if you agree with Brand USA, John Connor and the Obama White House’s vision of America:
Watch the ad Below:
Read more about the Corporation for Travel Promotion here.
*Editors note: The word ‘Burka’ has been changed to ‘Hijab’ to be more accurate.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,030 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 434 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 309 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 248 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 130 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 223 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal Read More
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- North Korea sends leader's special envoy to China
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Straily, Cespedes push A's past Rangers 1-0
- Spurs blow late lead, beat Grizzlies 93-89 in OT
- Apple case seen as possible spur to tax action
- Bernanke testimony to be studied for policy clues
- North Korean leader sends 'special envoy' to China
- State media shows NKorea has new military chief