50 Treated After Massive School Bus Collision En Route to Six Flags
(The Blaze/AP) As many as 200 middle school students were on their way to Six Flags Saturday when a chain collision stopped six school buses and a car east of Atlanta.
One driver, identified as Angela Anthony, 44, of Midville, Ga, was seriously injured and had to be flown to Grady Memorial hospital, but miraculously, everyone else only suffered cuts and bruises.
“It was scary,” a student on the bus commented. “No one knew what was going on. Some kids were hurt.”
The students were reportedly told to evacuate through the back of the bus, and then wait in a ditch until the injured bus driver could be safely airlifted out.
The accident happened on Interstate 20 when traffic on the highway slowed approaching Covington because of a closed lane, according to a spokesman for the Georgia State Patrol, which is investigating the accident.
As the buses reduced speed, one bus was struck from behind by another, setting off a chain reaction that soon affected six buses and a car. The accident temporarily shut down westbound traffic on the major highway.
Two other people suffered injuries, police said.
One mother received a frantic call from her daughter after the accident.
“I didn’t know where they were,” she said. “I [had] been getting updates from Facebook. The school should have told us something.”
While a school spokeswoman maintain they were available all day for questions, parents reportedly only received an automated message saying the children could be picked up at a certain time, but no associated details.
About 50 others were examined at regional hospitals for possible injuries after the wreck. Aside from the bus driver, school officials said none of the injuries appeared serious.
“Just a few bruises, scrapes,” the school spokeswoman said. “Nothing bad happened to any of our children.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 574 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 510 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 490 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 375 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 334 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 288 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 256 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 145 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- State report: I-5 bridge had gouges, impact damage
- Soldier's slaying prompts UK security review
- Bowie Young, Cavalleri tied in the Bahamas
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Communications satellite launched into space
- Key figures in racial profiling lawsuit in Ariz
- Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman Scott Weiland
- Judge: Ariz. sheriff's office profiles Latinos