MTV Scraps Reality Show About Young People Losing Their Virginity
Just when it seemed as though MTV couldn’t push its moral boundaries any further, reports are emerging about a proposed show with a premise that makes “Jersey Shore,” “Teen Mom” and other related programs look tame. The show, disturbingly called, “My First,” was supposed to follow young people as they prepared to lose their virginity.
While the show was looking to cast individuals who were at least 18 years of age (i.e. people who are “of age”), the values associated with it are certainly questionable — so questionable that even the network has backtracked on the project. The casting call, which is not currently present on the MTV Casting web site (it was likely disabled), makes the network’s original intention to capture “sexual firsts” clear.
“Do you want to take things to the next level? Like, are you ready to hand over your V card? Or do you have a friend who is ready to lose it? Young adulthood is a time for exploration,” a posted casting call for the show read. “New relationships, fresh experiences and sexual firsts. Now MTV is looking to frankly capture that journey in a new series called My First. We’re looking for adults who are ready to go all the way. Let MTV come along on your journey… as you try to lose your virginity!”
Here’s a screen shot from the casting call, below (via Fox News):
Certainly, these words alone are controversial enough. But what about the themes embedded beneath them? Consider the implications of a network offering to essentially assist young people (albiet people who are of age) as they embark on a sexual expedition. One assumes that these individuals would be paid to take part in the program, which only makes it even more surprising.
In a statement to FOX411′s Pop Tarts column, an MTV rep dismissed the show and its subsequent removal from the network’s casting page, saying, ”This was a preliminary casting notice, and we’re not moving forward with a pilot.”
Of course, following intense controversy, such a reaction is to be expected. Even actress Patricia Heaton (“The Middle” and “Everybody Loves Raymond”) got in on the mix, calling MTV’s decision to originally pursue such a show “so incredibly depressing.” Heaton, known for her conservative, Christian worldview, wasn’t alone in criticizing the network.
“This is part of the media attempt to mock people who have morals and to treat virginity like a disease that must be cured,” said Dan Gainor, vice president at the Media Research Center. “Network programmers won’t be satisfied until they are able to hold live gladiatorial combat on air with the audience voting on whether the loser gets to live.”
Of course, this isn’t the first time the network’s intentions have been questioned. “Skins,” a show that aired briefly on the network last year, was accused of bordering, at moments, on child pornography. Considering that young people watch the network — a factor executives must be aware of — the continued push for such morally-questionable content is intriguing.
(H/T: Fox News)
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 502 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 459 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 442 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 324 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 323 Comments
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 250 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 146 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 116 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Malaysian charged with sedition, 2 more arrested
- Submerged structure stumps Israeli archaeologists
- Police: Car bomb kills 12 in southwest Pakistan
- Asia stocks slide as China factory output slips
- Survey shows China manufacturing contracting
- Teen birth rates decline in most US states
- Nearly all US states see hefty drop in teen births
- Penguins rout Senators 7-3, take 3-1 series lead