Man Ticketed For Littering After Giving a Homeless Man Money…And Dropping One of the Bills
Last Monday, John Davis was reportedly exiting the I-90 in Cleveland, Ohio when he saw a pale, thin man in a wheelchair holding a sign that said something along the lines of, “Love Jesus, Please Help.”
Davis, who has a brother that is paralyzed, says he enjoys helping people, particularly since he knows how much his brother struggles.
“Not only that, but he’s needing some money or he wouldn’t be out there,” Davis remarked of the man in the wheelchair.
So, Davis recalled, he grabbed a couple of dollars and folded them, extending his arm out his window to give the bills to the man.
“He touched it. It hit the ground. At that point, he bent over and he picked it up,” Davis explained.
It was only a few seconds before police cruiser lights began flashing, and an officer reportedly told Davis he was being cited for littering.
“Are you serious?” Davis asked.
“I’m darn serious,” the officer allegedly responded, writing “Throw paper out window,” on the ticket, and in parenthesis, “money to panhandler.”
Watch John Davis’ account of the events, below:
Now, Fox 8 notes that Ohio does have a law that prohibits panhandling and giving money to panhandlers near a highway or street (including a berm, shoulder, treelawn or sidewalk), but that is not what the man was seemingly ticketed for.
When Davis protested, the officer reportedly told him to “take it up with the courts,” where he may have to pay $500, including associated court fees.
“I don’t mean any disrespect toward the police department at all, we need ‘em, but I just wish I didn’t have to pay this ticket,” Davis said.
Not only that, but he said this will undeniably curtail his future charitable givings towards the homeless.
“I’d like to do it again but I’m petrified I’m going to get a ticket.”
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 520 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 482 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 466 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 324 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 294 Comments
- There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor Read More
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 123 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 131 Comments
- 'Horrified' trucker watches I-5 bridge collapse
- Obama OKs honor for Birmingham bombing victims
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Delta ups the ante in battle for NY travel market
- Man charged with stalking Jennifer Lawrence's kin
- A-Rod sells Miami Beach home for $30M
- Snooki: NJ Gov Christie 'just doesn't like us'