29-Year-Old U.S. Olympian Gaining National Attention Because…She’s Committed to Virginity
Considering all of the negative influences in television, film, music and sports, it’s rare to find a positive role model who’s willing to boldly go against societal norms. Enter Lolo Jones, the 29-year-old track and field star who’s been getting a fair bit of press since tweeting earlier this year that she’s a virgin.
MyNorthwest.com has more information about this fascinating athlete, whose conservative views on sex are rooted in her Christian worldview:
At 29-years-old, Lolo Jones has already had a life of overcoming challenges. She’s a multiracial, devout Christian who grew up “dirt poor” with her mom and four siblings in Iowa.
Jones, who competes in the women’s 100-meter hurdles, described living in the basement of a Salvation Army during the ESPN documentary about her life that was broadcast this week.
“I definitely would say, by sixth grade, I was a professional shoplifter and not because I wanted to. I’m not going out to shoplift earrings or clothes or shoes like the average teenager,” Jones says. “I was shoplifting frozen dinners at a grocery store. I could shoplift four frozen dinners, easily.”
Now she’s easily one of the biggest track and field stars in America. She has a sculpted, perfect body, and on top of everything else, she’s opened up about her ongoing struggles to remain a virgin.
ABC’s “The View” took this issue on yesterday as well and discussed a variety of themes surrounding both Jones and the challenges associated with adult virginity:
In recent interviews, the athlete has made known her wish to give her virginity to her future husband. The quest, of course, hasn’t been an easy one.
“It’s just something, a gift that I want to give to my husband. But please understand this journey has been hard. If there’s virgins out there, I just want to let them know, it’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life,” she said this week on “Today.” “Harder than training for the Olympics, harder than graduating from college, has been to stay a virgin before marriage.”
And, as can be imagined, there have been plenty of temptations along the way.
“I’ve been tempted. I’ve had guys tell me, they’re like, ‘Hey you know if you have sex it will help you run faster,’” Jones said, going on to give her response: “If you marry me, then yeah.”
Jones has continued to share her experience and her pledge with her fans on Twitter. Donald Trump even weighed in on her virginity:
The track and field star first made her very personal announcement on Twitter earlier this year and she has continued to be open and honest about her struggles. Jones competed in the 2008 Olympics and will also be vying for a win in the 2012 London games.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 429 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 376 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 340 Comments
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 307 Comments
- ‘We Ain’t Scared of Nobody!’: New Documentary Claims to Show the KKK Thriving in Deep South 302 Comments
- Priest Gunned Down by Italian Mobsters Now Beatified Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 158 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? 101 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 118 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California 107 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Suspected rebels kill 16, wound 25 in east India
- Roadside bomb kills 2 Yemeni soldiers
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Quick, long-term fixes in works for Wash. bridge
- Egypt top court rules against religious slogans
- Turkish couples kiss in subway in protest
- Brewers closer Henderson out with hamstring injury
- Police: Suspected Maoist rebels kill 16 people in attack in eastern India