Video Shows Toddler Locked and Laundered in Washing Machine — And Wait Until You Hear Why
CAMDEN, N.J. (The Blaze/AP) — What parent hasn’t put their child in one of the older model, top-loading washing machines as a joke for picture? A New Jersey mom is not laughing, though, after she found out — under a baby sitter’s care — her toddler was put in a laundromat’s front-loading washer during a game of peek-a-boo, which then automatically locked and was turned on.
Speaking on NBC’s “Today” show Thursday, Sakia David says she wants her baby sitter punished for allowing a male friend to put the child in the machine. This sentiment appears to be a quick change of heart as yesterday she told the Courier Post Online that she “just [wanted] this to be over with. Mistakes happen. That’s all I want to tell America.”
Watch Davis speak out on the Today show about why she wants to press charges:
David says she didn’t even know about the May 11 incident in Camden until she saw the video on the news and was contacted by police. The video has gone viral on the Internet with many first accusing David of poor parenting before they knew it wasn’t the child’s mother who was involved. Watch the original video footage:
David says the baby sitter — who the Courier Post reports is the boy’s stepmother, Sandra– told her the child had fallen down some steps. She says her son was treated at a hospital for scrapes and bruises. But she wants more tests.
Authorities say the man was unaware the machine would automatically start when the door was shut during the game. The Courier Post Online reports that the sitter and man who put the boy into the washer were stunned when they couldn’t immediately open the door and called for help. Laundromat worker Kong Enh is seen killing the power to the washers, which allowed the boy to be retrieved after more than a minute in the machine. David on the other hand said in her Today show interview the boy was in the machine for at least five minutes.
The Courier Post Online reports the county prosecutor’s office saying yesterday that it wasn’t unlikely charges will be brought on for this case:
“There’s no evidence of intentional endangerment,” [spokesman Jason Laughlin] said. “It was just not a very smart thing to do.”
David said on the Today show she wants to press charges for money and for those involved to receive jail time.
The case has been referred to child welfare officials.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 557 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 509 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 482 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 340 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 236 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 237 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 141 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- NYC lawsuit alleging Favre sent racy texts settled
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees tragedy behind him
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Report: Yahoo, pay-TV operators among Hulu bidders
- Principal recounts storm hitting Oklahoma school
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- McIlroy, Donald miss cut at BMW PGA Championship
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US