93-Year-Old WWII Navy Sailor Fights for National Flag to Honor Fellow Veterans
Jim Parks may be 93-year-old, but he isn’t slowing down. The former Navy sailor and World War II service member is on a mission to officially honor his fellow veterans. Parks, who has a passion for commemorating those who have given back to the United States of America, has created a flag that serves this very purpose — a symbol that he hopes to eventually see flying in all 50 states.
Parks, who pushes on despite health problems, has stated his surprise with the fact that there are already flags for each branch of the military and for individuals who are missing in combat. But the dearth of a more general symbol to represent the many individuals who have served has been a concern to him, so he has set out on a crusade to see that this alleged wrong is righted.
“Twenty-three million veterans that served our country: Don’t they deserve to have an emblem that represents them?, Parks recently asked. ”You always have to be optimistic. If it doesn’t work one way, try another way. So, I keep trying. I’ve come a long way in 10 years.”
Already, Parks is halfway to his goal, as 25 states have voiced support for the flag. The California state legislature was the first to take up the motion back in 2006 for what Parks has dubbed the “Veterans Remembered Flag.” The symbol, rather than singling out a specific group of servicemen and women, is intended to serve as a memorial for “past, present, and future veterans,” while providing “an enduring symbol to support tomorrow’s veterans today.”
The flag, which is green with a five-point star, includes the colors of red, white and blue inside of a ribbon with 13 gold stars:
While Parks and his supportive family have already had some victories in seeing states support the flag, The Press-Democrat has more about the challenges that remain:
The path to national recognition still presents political and administrative challenges, and Parks and his family hope they will get a champion in Congress to push through adoption of the flag. [...]
Parks and his family hope demonstrations of support in a majority of U.S. states will spur action on the federal front through the congressional Veterans Affairs Committee, whose former chairman and ranking Democratic member, Rep. Bob Filner, D-Chula Vista, they met with several years ago.
“Those veterans should be recognized and that would be accomplished simply by making this a national emblem,” Parks proclaims.
Watch Parks explain his goals, below:
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 440 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 421 Comments
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 399 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 320 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- ‘Unbelievable’: Apparent Thief Leaves $140 & Apology Note on Family’s Doorstep — Find Out Why Read More
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 160 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ 134 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 125 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 242 Comments
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 263 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 115 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Octogenarians race to be oldest Everest climber
- Emails show AEG lawyer called Jackson a 'freak'
- FBI: Arrest made in Wash. ricin letter scare
- Talk of lies, pride as Trump case goes to jury
- Flooding forces evacuation of 1,300 in ND town
- AP Source: Coach K returning to US men's team
- 3rd grader who loved to sing among tornado victims
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes