Texas Student Challenges School’s Policy of Standing During The Pledge of Allegiance
A student at Cypress Springs High School in Cypress, Tex., says he’s being “singled out” by his teachers because he wouldn’t stand for the Pledge of Allegiance, according to KHOU.com.
“It’s very uncomfortable,” said Ray Jones. “I’m wondering what they’re going to say next.”
The trouble started last month on a day Jones decided to jog to school. According to his mother, the 17-year old was so wiped out by his run that he was incapable of standing for the nine seconds it takes to say the Pledge.
“He was tired, dripping with sweat, exhausted,” LaTonya Ellison said. “He just, on that particular day, did not feel like standing up.”
Watch the KHOU.com news brief:
“According to the Cypress-Fairbanks ISD, students who do not participate in the Pledge of Allegiance are expected to stand, unless a parent has contacted the school regarding this practice being in conflict with their religious beliefs,” KHOU reports.
“Ellison admits she never wrote a note,” the report adds.
Jones and Ellison say they have no problem with the Pledge or the school’s policy — they have a problem with how the teachers handled the situation.
“Instead of being asked what was wrong, because that was totally out of character for him, it was assumed that he was being unpatriotic — and that is not what it was about at all,” Ellison said.
Jones’ mother has since written his teachers a note excusing him from the Pledge. And although she has written the note, she says faculty members still “single him out” in class, according to KHOU.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 507 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 447 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 445 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 401 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 392 Comments
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With Read More
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 128 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 213 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 111 Comments
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- UK military jet launched to probe civilian plane
- US durable goods orders rise 3.3 percent in April
- Slovenia adopts debt cap to stave off crisis
- Jury foreman says Arias testimony didn't help her
- Uganda president ousts army boss amid dispute
- UK defense ministry: Typhoon jet launched to investigate incident with civilian plane
- Some unions now angry about health care overhaul
- Jersey shore reopens post-Sandy with fun, no sun