Texas Student Challenges School’s Policy of Standing During The Pledge of Allegiance
A student at Cypress Springs High School in Cypress, Tex., says he’s being “singled out” by his teachers because he wouldn’t stand for the Pledge of Allegiance, according to KHOU.com.
“It’s very uncomfortable,” said Ray Jones. “I’m wondering what they’re going to say next.”
The trouble started last month on a day Jones decided to jog to school. According to his mother, the 17-year old was so wiped out by his run that he was incapable of standing for the nine seconds it takes to say the Pledge.
“He was tired, dripping with sweat, exhausted,” LaTonya Ellison said. “He just, on that particular day, did not feel like standing up.”
Watch the KHOU.com news brief:
“According to the Cypress-Fairbanks ISD, students who do not participate in the Pledge of Allegiance are expected to stand, unless a parent has contacted the school regarding this practice being in conflict with their religious beliefs,” KHOU reports.
“Ellison admits she never wrote a note,” the report adds.
Jones and Ellison say they have no problem with the Pledge or the school’s policy — they have a problem with how the teachers handled the situation.
“Instead of being asked what was wrong, because that was totally out of character for him, it was assumed that he was being unpatriotic — and that is not what it was about at all,” Ellison said.
Jones’ mother has since written his teachers a note excusing him from the Pledge. And although she has written the note, she says faculty members still “single him out” in class, according to KHOU.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,037 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 153 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 225 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 110 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 133 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Star witness to stay mum for House hearing on IRS
- Susan Powell's dad gets private eye to review file
- Star witness to be mum during House hearing on IRS
- Ai Weiwei uses music to mock state power in China
- Restaurant learns online reviews can make or break
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Kerry praises $2.1 billion Raytheon deal in Oman
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview