What Is the Debris That Fell From an Airplane and Damaged Cars in Canada?
Pieces of debris reportedly falling from an airplane are being investigated for damaging vehicles after an Air Canada flight had to make an emergency landing in Ontario on Monday.
CNN reports the Boeing 777 jetliner was traveling from Toronto to Tokoyo Monday afternoon when one of its engines malfunctioned shortly after takeoff. The crew requested to make an emergency landing and safely returned to the ground. The plane’s initial takeoff was at 2:10 p.m. ET and it landed by 3:53 p.m.
Before the plane was able to land at Pearson International Airport, Canada’s CP24 reports some debris was falling and resulted in damage to at least five vehicles on the ground. No injuries from falling pieces were reported. Watch the video report from CP24 here.
CNN has more from a witness:
“The first thing I said (was), ‘Oh my God, what is this?’ ” [Sarabjit] Sandhu said.
“It was so hot you couldn’t even touch it,” Sandhu said of the material.
Watch CNN’s report:
Air Canada spokesman Peter Fitzpatrick said the plane’s crew requested an emergency landing shortly after takeoff when one of its two engines failed. The plane returned to Pearson and landed normally using one engine. Fitzpatrick said the cause of the engine shutdown was not immediately known.
Fitzpatrick said there were no injuries among the 318 passengers and 16 crew members aboard Flight AC001 bound for Tokyo’s Narita airport.
A businessman who was on board the plane tweeted that passengers were told it was an engine overheating.
“Seems my plane fell apart! Luckily we managed to land it,” Jason Flick tweeted, adding that the plane spent 20 minutes dropping fuel and landed heavy.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 497 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 479 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 383 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 320 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 183 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 315 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 126 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Senator: Assaults let military culture continue
- WHO: Scientific red tape mars efforts vs. virus
- Obama lifts ban on Guantanamo transfers to Yemen
- Wyden: FracFocus a 'constructive' tool on drilling
- Heat, Pacers say Game 2 should be even better
- Tea party storm largely inside IRS _ so far
- Kids, teachers from devastated school reunite
- Coded goal: RG3 still aiming for Redskins' opener