Pelosi: Obamacare Will Be Upheld ‘Because I Know the Constitution’
WASHINGTON (AP/The Blaze) — Top congressional Democrat Nancy Pelosi said Thursday she was confident that US President Barack Obama’s health care reform would be upheld by the Supreme Court, saying the law’s constitutionality was “ironclad.”
A decision from the high court is due in June, and legal experts have been scrupulously studying just how the nine justices might rule on one of the most important cases in decades.
“Six-three,” Pelosi, the Democratic leader in the House of Representatives, told reporters, referring to her prediction of how the justices will vote in favor of upholding Obama’s signature legislative achievement.
“I know the Constitution,” she elaborated. “The bill is ironclad. Nobody was frivolous with the Constitution and the health of the American people in writing the bill.”
“That’s where my confidence springs from: the merits of the bill and the nature of the Constitution,” she added. “The makeup of the court? Well, we’ll see.”
Pelosi, a 25-year veteran of Congress, has routinely predicted a 6-3 ruling on the controversial law, which Republicans in the House and Senate hope to see struck down on the grounds that it is unconstitutional.
Pelosi has been dismissive of this question ever since the bill was put in front of Congress. When asked by a CNS Reporter where the Constitution granted Congress the ability to mandate purchase of health insurance back in 2010, Pelosi infamously replied “Are you serious?”
The comprehensive reforms provide greater medical coverage for the poorest, insurance for all Americans regardless of health condition and insurance for 32 million Americans who lack coverage.
But critics are particularly opposed to the law’s linchpin requirement mandating that nearly every American be insured.
They argue that the so-called individual mandate of the law is a violation of the US Constitution’s Commerce Clause, which gives Congress the power to regulate interstate trade.
Republican Mitt Romney, who will square off against Obama in November’s election, has pledged to repeal the law — which he and other Republicans have nicknamed “Obamacare” — should he win the White House.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 552 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 504 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 477 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 326 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 209 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 221 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 139 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Schumer urges look at security in Sprint deal
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Furlough Friday: Unpaid day off for many in gov't
- Obama OKs honor for Birmingham bombing victims
- Stocks barely budge; market ends week with loss
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Principal recounts storm hitting Okla. school