Liberal Wis. Group Sends Voters Names and Addresses of Their Neighbors to Shame Them Into Voting in Recall
A liberal Wisconsin group is apparently circulating mailers to registered voters with the names and voting histories of their neighbors to get them to turn out in Tuesday’s recall election against Republican Gov. Scott Walker.
“Scott Walker won in 2010 because too many people stayed home!” reads the letter from the Greater Wisconsin Political Fund, which was obtained by The Blaze. The group is the political spending arm of the Greater Wisconsin Committee and is not affiliated with any candidate. The Greater Wisconsin Committee describes itself as engaging in “grassroots lobbying on critical Wisconsin issues to promote a progressive public policy agenda.”
“The chart shows the names of some of your neighbors, showing which have voted in the past,” the mailer states. “Look at the list below; are there neighbors on this list you know? Call them or knock on their door before Election Day, and ask them to go vote on Tuesday, June 5th.”
It adds in a somewhat ominous tone, “After the June 5th election, public records will tell everyone who voted and who didn’t.”
The letter states all voter data came from the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board, which oversees the state’s elections. A form on the agency’s website may be used to request such data for purchase.
According to the Associated Press, the Greater Wisconsin Political Fund has spent $4.8 million on the recall effort.
Ann Althouse, a law professor at the University of Wisconsin, wrote on her blog Friday that she’d received the same mailing from the group at her Madison home.
“This is an effort to shame and pressure people about voting, and it is truly despicable,” Althouse wrote. “Your vote is private, you have a right not to vote, and anyone who tries to shame and an harass you about it is violating your privacy, and the assumption that I will become active in shaming and pressuring my neighbors is repugnant.”
An emailed request for comment to the Greater Wisconsin Political Fund was not immediately returned.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 508 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 470 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 424 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 391 Comments
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 381 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video 112 Comments
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 211 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 142 Comments
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 109 Comments
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 129 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Syria govt to take part in peace conference
- Quick's LA Kings put Sharks on brink with 3-0 win
- Some unions now angry about health care overhaul
- IRS replaces official who revealed targeting
- Obama balances threats against Americans' rights
- Colonial member Palmer has 1st-round lead with 62
- Rangers top Bruins in OT, force Game 5 in Boston
- Blackhawks hope to rally from 3-1 series deficit