Restaurant Owner Apologizes for Controversial ‘Flying Remote Control Airplanes Into Muslim People’ Sign
A Pennsylvania restaurant owner has apologized for displaying a controversial sign that read, “Flying Remote Control Airplanes into Muslim People at the Mall Is My Thing.”
Michael Pollice frequently uses the sign in front of Domenico’s Ristorante outside Pittsburgh to make offbeat and sometimes opinionated statements. An example of one such musing: “Is it OK to ask gay guys to form a straight line?”
But last week’s choice touched off a storm of controversy, including threats of a boycott, that Pollice said he regrets.
“I like to push stuff as far as it can go,” he told the Cranberry Patch. “I will never do that again, because it hurts people.”
After initially standing by his word choice — Pollice even altered it to read, “If This Sign Offends You, Call a Dead Soldier’s Parents to Complain — he had a meeting with local Muslim community leaders he said changed his mind.
He said he got a call Wednesday from a board member of the Pittsburgh chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations requesting a meeting. Joining them were a member of the Muslim Association of Greater Pittsburgh, a pastor with the Unitarian Universalist Church and a member of a local anti-racism coalition.
Pollice told the Patch he’d never spent any time with Muslims before, and doing so changed his attitude.
“I think it was good thing for me,” he said of the meeting. “I’m better for the experience.”
Kazim Reza of the Muslim Association said he became aware of the sign after a woman forwarded an email about it to his organization and to several area mosques.
“She felt is was very, very inappropriate,” Reza said. “She felt hurt. She felt it was totally uncalled for.”
Talking to Pollice was a positive experience, he added.
“He was very calm and very apologetic for hurting the feelings of Muslims and others,” Reza said.
According to the Patch, with the dust-up behind him, Pollice is already back with a new quirky sign — one unlikely to ruffle any feathers: “Dolphins are Just Sharks Who Watch Glee.”
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 990 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 429 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 379 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 292 Comments
- ‘Arrogance…Abuse of Power…Rotten to the Core’: Paul Ryan Steamed Over IRS, Benghazi 198 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 139 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 177 Comments
- Here’s the Inspirational Story of an American Flag Hanging Amid the Oklahoma Tornado’s Destruction Read More
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- Ex-IRS Chief: I Have no Idea How This Conservative Targeting Happened Read More
- Treasury Sec. Ready to Deploy ‘Extraordinary Measures’ as U.S. Hits Debt Limit (Again) Read More
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds 100 Comments
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Surprise: The IRS leans left — way left
- ‘First they came for Fox News…’
- Most Republicans not following news about Obama admin’s three scandals ‘very closely’
- Obama DOJ relied on 1917 Espionage Act to target ‘co-conspirator’ Fox News
- Stuart Stevens predicts racist ‘small cable show’ co-hosted by Sharpton, Weiner
- Garcia, Woods take their shots at each other
- Top figures barred from Iran's June ballot
- Deal on bin Laden evidence made in WikiLeaks case
- Los Angeles picking mayor after low-drama campaign
- ESPN cutting workforce, 'smartly managing costs'
- Lawyer: No background check done on Jackson doctor
- Rapper Chief Keef arrested at hotel near Atlanta
- Ex-Ford execs charged in Argentine torture cases