Homeland Security Is Supporting a Gay Pride Celebration & Janet Napolitano Is Getting an Award
On June 7, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is holding a gay-themed event called the June Pride Ceremony. The hour-long gathering, scheduled to take place from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., will feature DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano as a guest speaker, among others. The purpose of the event is to commemorate June Pride Month, while also marking “a year of significant progress for DHS Pride and for the LGBT community.”
According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) web site, DHS Pride, the group behind the event, is an employee association that represents gays, lesbians, bisexual and transgendered individuals working within DHS’s ranks. The organization seeks to showcase how these individuals work diligently to secure the U.S. Here are some of the goals the group works towards, as per its web site:
- Identify and address issues particularly affecting Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender employees of the Department.
- Support and guide the Department in the development and implementation of effective policies and practices for the elimination of discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity in all Departmental activities.
- Serve as a resource and point of contact for its members, for those seeking or considering employment with the Department, and for other interested individuals or groups regarding LGBT issues and activities at DHS.
Aside from Napolitano, who will receive the DHS Pride Award for Service, Amanda Simpson, special assistant to the Army Acquisition Executive, DOD, will deliver the keynote address. Simpson is the first openly transgendered woman to be appointed to the U.S. government. Following the speeches, there will be a reception.
Here’s an event flyer that provides all of the information on the festivities:
According to the DHS Pride web site, Napolitano’s award is being given for “her many years of dedicated public service, her unwavering support of DHS personnel, her intense support of a DHS based on unity and inclusion and her support of DHS policies and protections for LGBT personnel.”
This event comes as the Obama administration continues to expand its policies and support for the gay and lesbian community. Last month, the president publicly endorsed same-sex marriage.
For more analysis on this story, go to DebbieSchlussel.com.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 463 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 315 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 255 Comments
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 229 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance Read More
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 173 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? 100 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 118 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 104 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 138 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Syrian opposition urges rebels to join key battle
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- Trial for captain in deadly shipwreck in Italy
- Target's 1Q profit drops 26 pct on weak sales
- FEMA Chief: Feds won't go 'when the cameras leave'
- Boy Scout leaders to vote on lifting gay ban
- Futures rise; all eyes on the Fed
- Parents face tough choice when tornadoes bear down