Fitness Trainer Describes Gaining 70 Pounds in Order to Empathize With His Clients
Drew Manning is a fitness instructor and trainer. As you might imagine, Manning cuts a lean and muscular figure, but this wasn’t always the case.
Last year, Manning, 30, went from 193 pounds to 263 pounds — on purpose. He wanted to empathize with his clients when it came to losing much needed weight. Although he is now back to his original size, he and his wife recently appeared on Good Morning America where they discussed how Manning’s extreme experiment in empathy was more than just a physical change.
Drew and Lynn said one of the biggest surprises was the effect the 70-pound weight gain, which only took six months, had on their marriage.
“I was shocked because I thought this was all going to be a physical transformation,” Lynn said on Good Morning America. “It was hard. It was really hard on our marriage to see that happen.”
Lynn said Drew became lazy, didn’t help as much around the house and pulled back on some of his positive fathering skills. Lynn emphasizes that it really wasn’t only the physical changes that were a turn off, but the emotional changes and him “becoming a different person” as well. Drew said he didn’t even recognize these changes at first.
Watch the Good Morning America segment:
Manning’s new book “Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit” describes the physical and emotional journey of letting himself get fat and then the struggle to return to his previous size again. His last day of “being fat” was in November 2011. He said on the show that it was initially hard to give up his healthy lifestyle as a fitness addict, but he “got used to it.” Then, it was hard to get back into the fitness routine for another six month transformation back to his original size.
When it came to getting back in shape, Drew said “this was the first time going to the gym I was nervous. [...] For the first time in my life, I was humbled.” Drew said he had to do push-ups on his knees and assisted pull-ups.
“It was a whole different aspect of working out again,” Drew said on the show.
Watch Drew’s original video explaining his plan to become fat in May of last year:
Read more about Drew’s transformation on his blog, where he also provides full access to his meal and workout plans, here.
[H/T Daily Mail]
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 579 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 516 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 493 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 384 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 335 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 311 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 265 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 148 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- LOOK: Woman Claims to Have Photographed UFO in California Read More
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- Dead Pa. baby's dad believes in 'divine healing'
- Cochran, Perry tied for lead in Senior PGA
- Penguins rip Ottawa 6-2, move to conference finals
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Calif. teen takes supermodel to prom