TheBlaze Fact Checks ‘Weeping Voter’: His Claims Are…
During an “emotional” segment following the results of last night’s recall election between Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) and Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett (D), one miserable Barrett supporter said the following:
We just got outspent $34 million to $4 million dollars. This was, this was the biggest election in America and I hope you keep me on tonight because this hurts us all. Every single on of you out there in the nation, if you’re watching democracy died tonight.
I’m very emotional because we all had a lot invested in this. This was it. If we didn’t win tonight, the end of the U.S. as we know it just happened. That’s it. We just got outspent $34 million to $4 million dollars.
Watch the CNN video:
Let’s take a look at his claim that Gov. Walker simply outspent Barrett.
First, approximately $63 million was spent on the Wisconsin recall election. Second, the man interviewed by CNN seems to cite the dollar amount raised as opposed to dollar amount spent.
According to the government watchdog group Wisconsin Democracy Campaign, Gov. Walker spent (not raised) about $29 million whereas Barrett spent about $3 million dollars.*
But let’s go back for a moment and look at the amount of cash raised by each campaign.
Gov. Walker pulled in about $31 million (not $34), which is three times what he raised in his 2010 bid for office, according to the Wall Street Journal.
But based on a tally from the same watchdog group as cited in the above, FOX News claims that, along with the $4.2 million he raised mostly from inside Wisconsin, Barrett raised about $14 million from unions, the Democratic Governors Association, and the Democratic National Committee.
This raises an interesting question: if the Barrett campaign raised approximately $18.2 million, why is it being reported that it only spent $3 million?
Bottom line: Although Gov. Walker outraised and outspent Barrett, which, depending on your political persuasion, is either a testament to his popularity or proof of a “vast right wing conspiracy,” the gap between the two campaigns may not be as great as the “weeping voter” would have you believe.
But let’s cut him some slack; he was really emotional at the time. After all, America had just died.
Hear Glenn Beck’s take on the 34-4 million claim:
*Campaign data from May 31st.
This story has been updated for clarity and will be updated as campaign costs are tallied and released.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 465 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 440 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 323 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 309 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 259 Comments
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 139 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 197 Comments
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 137 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 144 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- Hosseini discusses new novel at NYC reading
- EU bid to label Hezbollah wing terror group
- Stocks surge as Bernanke retains dovish ton
- Closings arguments begin at Donald Trump trial
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, but results miss Street
- Oklahoma Insurance Department says preliminary tornado damage estimate could top $2 billion
- Malawi finds buyer for presidential jet