President Obama: ‘The Private Sector Is Doing Fine’
During a press conference at the White House on Friday morning, President Obama told a room full of journalists that “the private sector is doing fine.”
“The most important thing, I think, we can do,” the president said while answering a question on the eurozone crisis, “is make sure that we continue to have a strong, robust recovery.”
“We’ve got a couple of sectors in our economy that are still weak. Overall, the private sector has been doing a good job creating jobs. We’ve seen record profits in the corporate sector. The big challenge we have in our economy right now is that state and local government hiring has been going in the wrong direction. You’ve seen teacher layoffs, police officers, cops, firefighters, being laid off. And the other sector that’s still weak has been the construction industry,” said President Obama.
“Those two areas we’ve directly addressed with our jobs plan. The problem is that it requires congress take action and we’re going to keep pushing them to see if they can move in that direction,” he added.
The president then turned to The New York Times’ Jackie Calmes.
“What about the Republicans saying that you’re blaming the Europeans for the failure of your own policies?” she asked as a follow-up to her original question regarding eurozone austerity measures.
“The truth of the matter is that, as I said, we’ve created 4.3 million jobs over the last 2, 27 months, over 800,000 just this year alone,” the president responded.
“The private sector is doing fine. Where we’re seeing weaknesses in our economy have to do with state and local government oftentimes cuts initiated by governors or mayors who are not getting the kind of help that they have in the past from the Federal government and who don’t have the same kind of flexibility as the government in dealing with fewer revenues coming in,” he added.
Watch via CBS:
But the president wasn’t finished. He had a message (he had several, actually) for his Republican opponents.
“And so, if Republicans want to be helpful, if they really want to move forward and put people back to work, what they should be thinking about is ‘how do we help state and local governments and how do we help the construction industry,’” said President Obama.
“Because the recipes that they’re promoting are basically the kinds of policies that would add weakness to the economy,” he concluded.
Update: Well, that didn’t take very long. Apparently, the president realized how “out of touch” his “doing fine” remark sounded and took a moment to “clarify” what he actually meant.
“It is absolutely clear the economy is not doing fine,” President Obama said in the Oval Office after his meeting with Phillippine President Benigno Aquino, according to POLITICO.
Update II: Good grief, that was fast. The GOP has already responded with a new video:
Front page photo source: Doug Mills/The New York Times
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 496 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 479 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 467 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 382 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 318 Comments
- ‘I Swear I Will Kill You…F**k You’: Conservative Comedian Gets Death Threats Following Anti-Muhammad Video Read More
- ‘We…Aren’t Going to Take S**t From Homophobes’: Mysterious Pro-Firearm Ads Use Gays, Seemingly Topless Lesbians to Rail Against Gun Control 182 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 312 Comments
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack 125 Comments
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! Read More
- Emails Released: Congress Was Asking for Updates on IG’s IRS Audit Before 2012 Election Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 121 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Weiner gets started stumping in NYC mayoral race
- Obama lifts ban on Guantanamo transfers to Yemen
- Boy Scouts vote on policy toward openly gay boys
- Stocks edge lower as investors reassess Fed fears
- Smooth confirmation hearing for Pritzker
- Mary J. Blige faces $3.4M federal tax lien in NJ
- Pandora posts in-line 1Q loss, upbeat sales
- Swim coach sentenced to 7 years for sex abuse