Obama Reminds Progressives of Obamacare, DADT and Iraq in Address to Netroots
While conservatives have many bones to pick with the president, a number of progressive activists congregating in Providence this past weekend for the Netroots Nation conference are not thrilled with all of Barack Obama’s first term in the White House either. As the conference’s keynote speaker, Van Jones said of Obama Saturday: “We like him, but we’re not in love with him.” Appearing in a video address to the conference Saturday, President Obama reminded progressives of some of the work his administration has done over the last fours years, and called for continued support moving forward.
“Four years ago we came together because we shared a simple belief that people who love their country can change it,” President Obama said to the progressive activists at Netroots. “And you have.”
From there the president went on a trip down memory lane, reminding the conference of his push to reform the nation’s healthcare system, doubling-down on clean energy, repealing Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, ending the War in Iraq and ordering the death of Osama bin Laden.
“But we’ve got a lot more work to do, especially when it comes to getting our fellow Americans back to work,” said the president. “We’ve created 4.3 million new jobs over the past 27 months. But we’ve got to keep at it until everyone who’s out there, pounding the pavement, gets a job that pays the bills.
“What we can’t do is go back to the policies that got us to this mess in the first place. What we won’t do is just cut taxes for millionaires and billionaires by gutting things like education and clean energy.”
The address featured a 2-minute video from WhiteHouse.gov supporting the health law by showing a Colorado family whose son requires expensive medical treatments to treat his hemophilia.
“The Affordable Care Act has improved our quality of life, knowing that we don’t have to deal with the cap anymore means we can focus on the best care and the proper care for his condition,” the boy’s father says of how the law effects the lifetime cap on coverage from insurance companies that the family faced.
Watch the president’s full address below:
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 478 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 418 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 367 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 330 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 295 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ 105 Comments
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 210 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 164 Comments
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 146 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 111 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- UK PM: London attack near barracks could be terror
- Twitter adds security measure to logins
- Am. Samoa to keep flier miles for govt travelers
- Float driver says train seemed still before crash
- ND ad agency sues creators of Cartoon Network show
- Boy achieves family dream with geography bee win
- Others who took the 5th: McGwire, Abramoff, North
- UK PM: London attack terror could be terror