Chinese Nurse Fired After Posting Strange, Contorted Baby Photos on Blog
A Chinese nurse has been fired after she was caught practicing an odd pastime: contorting babies under her care.
Xiao Shiyu, a student at the Zhejiang Chinese Medical University, held sleeping babies improperly, put them with props (such as a pig nose), took photos of them and posted them on her blog.
According to Shanghai Daily, the student intern’s posts on the mircroblogging site Sina Weibo notably upset parents and others. Xiao has since apologized for her actions, but she was still fired from her position at the children’s hospital in Hangzhou. Shanghai Daily reports the incident occurring in April but the story has continued to go viral.
Xiao is reported using these words to accompany some of her photos:
“I almost died laughing?” and “the babies are too small to resist my mischief.”
China Daily reports Xiao also writing:
“What’s wrong, baby? Wake up. Are you still alive?” [..] “This makes me laugh my head off. You even know how to mimic the dead.”
Although some of the photos are harmless and just in bad taste, others concerned medical professionals as the babies heads weren’t properly supported. China Daily notes several medical professionals on Xiao’s Weibo site, as well as from the hospital, emphasizing the importance of supporting a baby’s weak neck.
China Daily has more from colleagues of Xiao on her actions:
“We hope the public treats the incident as an individual case and doesn’t magnify it,” said Pengat the university.
“We have a complete education system of professional ethics beginning from the orientation for freshmen.”
Shen Beijuan, an associate professor at the nursing college who knows Xiao well, said the student is compassionate but with a simple outlook.
“She told me she just did it for fun and didn’t imagine the pictures would trigger the unexpected calamity. I believe she meant no harm,” she said. “What she did really went against our instruction.”
On June 2, Xiao apologized saying she meant no harm, asked for forgiveness and noted the lesson she learned in “consciously [showing] professional integrity.” At the time of her apology, Xiao deleted the photos from her account. The next day she was fired.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 469 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 442 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 357 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 328 Comments
- More Than $1 Million Raised Through Mercury One for Oklahoma Tornado Relief 266 Comments
- Comedian’s New Anti-Muhammad Video Excoriates Islamic Prophet, Juxtaposes Him with Jesus: ‘Very Wrong and Twisted’ Read More
- Teacher Admits She ‘Prayed Out Loud’ During Violent Tornado: ‘I Did the Teacher Thing that We’re Probably Not Supposed to Do’ Read More
- Farrakhan Talks of ‘Satanic Jews’ and ‘Synagogue of Satan’ at Detroit Church Speech — but Wait Until You Hear Who Was in Attendance 178 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- Report: No IRS Workers Have Been Disciplined & Union Says It Hasn’t Been Contacted on Personnel Read More
- Ex-Cincinnati IRS Manager: This Was Not the Work of ‘Low-Level’ Employees Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 142 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 106 Comments
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 102 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Weak yen a help for Japan, but headache elsewhere
- One block: How neighbors saw twister's deadly path
- Officials: Suspect lunged at FBI agent with knife
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- Judge: Hollister clothing unfriendly to disabled
- Bahrain opposition group snubs crisis talks
- Officials: Man lunged at FBI agent with knife while being questioned about Boston bombings
- AP Source: Coach K returning to US men's team