Country Singer Carrie Underwood Cites Her Christian Faith in Gay Marriage Endorsement
Singer Carrie Underwood is making headlines after coming out in support of same-sex marriage. The country and pop singer, who was raised a Baptist, announced her support for gay nuptials during an interview with Britain’s The Independent. Underwood told the publication that she believes everyone deserves to love whomever he or she chooses, citing her faith as the basis for her reasoning.
“As a married person myself, I don’t know what it’s like to be told I can’t marry somebody I love, and want to marry,” the singer told the outlet. “I can’t imagine how that must feel. I definitely think we should all have the right to love, and love publicly, the people that we want to love.”
Underwood also told the publication that she and her husband, pro-hocker player Mike Fisher, attend a “gay-friendly” non-denominational church. The songstress went on to say that God wants Christians to love others
“It’s not about setting rules, or [saying], ‘Everyone has to be like me.’ No. We’re all different. That’s what makes us special. We have to love each other and get on with each other. It’s not up to me to judge anybody,” she added.
Already, Underwood has received the praise of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), a gay rights group. In a release addressing the singer’s comments, the organization applauded her, writing, “GLAAD commends Carrie Underwood for supporting marriage equality and rooting it in her faith.”
Jimmy LaSalvia, co-founder and executive director of GOProud, a group that represents gay conservatives and their allies, was highly appreciative of Underwood’s decision.
“You know, Carrie Underwood isn’t any different from anyone else in America. The more Americans think about how issues affect their gay friends and family the more they come to realize that supporting same-sex civil marriage is the right thing to do,” LaSalvia wrote in an email to the L.A. Times. “More and more people are coming to that conclusion — and that includes conservative Christians.”
However, some comments on the Taste of Country web site announcing Underwood’s endorsement show that some Christians are less-than-content with her stance. A number of those individuals posting comments on the article cited the Bible and railed against the notion that accepting gay marriage was the right and proper action for the singer to take.
In the end, time will only tell whether the decision helps — or hampers –Underwood’s ever-budding career.
(H/T: The Huffington Post)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,036 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 311 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 251 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 146 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 106 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Portland, Ore., rejecting water fluoridation
- Anthony Weiner launches NY mayoral bid, seeking to revive political career after tweet scandal
- Trout hits for cycle, drives in 5, Angels rout M's
- Garcetti holds slim lead as LA picks new mayor
- Pakistani cricket star politician leaves hospital
- Japan's central bank says economy picking up
- Oil falls below $96 before Fed chief speaks