Depressing Chart of the Day: The U.S. Is Racking up Debt Faster Than the EU
For all the bad things that can be said about the eurozone, at least the 17-nation union doesn’t rack up debt as quickly as the U.S.
Yes, you read that right.
America is currently on track “to add three times more debt than [the] eurozone over [the next] 5 years,” according to a new chart released the Senate Budget Committee Republican staff under Ranking Member Jeff Sessions (R-AL):
“Already, as the chart shows, America’s debt exceeds the eurozone’s, roughly $16.6 trillion to $13.3 trillion,” The Weekly Standard’s Daniel Halper writes.
“But by 2017, that gap is projected to widen, and America’s debt is expected to be $22.3 trillion, while the eurozone’s debt will be $15.2 trillion,” he adds.
This means that if things go unchanged, America will tack on $5.7 trillion to its national debt while the EU will only add $1.9 trillion.
Of course, we say “only” $1.9 trillion as if it’s no big deal. It is a big deal. It’s a big absurd deal.
“[W]hile the eurozone crisis is by no means just about debt,” Halper writes, “this new chart suggests that America must also look at its own fiscal problems as it tries to solve the great financial troubles it currently faces.”
Indeed, if significant changes aren’t made to the U.S.’ spending habits, America will be in a far more dangerous place than the eurozone in the long run. But then again, as the economist John Maynard Keynes liked to say, the only thing we know about the long run is that we’re all dead.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 538 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 492 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 474 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 327 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 296 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 133 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 187 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 134 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Afghan Taliban attack aid group, 2 guards killed
- NBC to air Blake Shelton's benefit for Oklahomans
- Bowie Young takes early lead on short course
- Feds look for temporary fix after I-5 collapse
- News Corp. OKs poison pill, buyback before split
- Toronto mayor says he doesn't smoke crack cocaine
- Damage reported from magnitude-5.7 quake in Calif.
- Patrick: Another Indy 500 'less and less likely'