It’s the Government’s ‘Role’ to Improve Your Health: Bloomberg Responds to ‘Nanny’ Critics
During an interview on CBS’ “This Morning,” New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg defended his proposed ban on sugary drinks larger than 16 ounces by arguing that it’s the role of government to “improve the health and longevity of its citizens.”
“[I]f government’s purpose isn’t to improve the health and longevity of its citizens, I don’t know what its purpose is,” the mayor said.
The proposed ban has been met with sharp criticism from pundits and businesses. Many feel that his health initiatives are overreaching and some have even dubbed Mayor Bloomberg “The Nanny.”
“We’re not here to tell anybody what to do. But we certainly have an obligation to tell them what’s the best science and best medicine says is in their interest,” Bloomberg said this morning on CBS.
“If you want to smoke, I think it’s pretty ridiculous, you shouldn’t. But I don’t think we should take away your right to smoke,” he added.
The mayor went on to praise companies including Pepsi and Coca-Cola for understanding the necessity of informing people of the nutritional value of their products.
“Coke and Pepsi sell a lot of full sugar drinks, but they’re also focusing on smaller cans, Coke in particular. They’ve put calories on the front to try to tell you,” Bloomberg said.
It’s probably worth noting that Coca-Cola is one of the many companies publicly opposed the sugary drinks ban.
“Anything is OK in moderation,” Bloomberg said. “Maybe not smoking. But, a full-sugar drink, nothing wrong with it. It’s when you drink so much. And it’s not the only thing.
“We have gone to a society where everything is fast food, everything is high calories. The average person today is much heavier than they were. Airlines have a problem: Their customers can’t fit in the seats anymore.”
Bloomberg concluded: “Obesity is becoming the single biggest health problem in America and will kill more people than smoking in a few years.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,037 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 436 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 252 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 154 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 226 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 110 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 134 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Garcetti builds growing lead as LA picks new mayor
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- 600 police photos of Tucson rampage scene released
- Chinese premier begins 2-day visit to Pakistan
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Republican divisions may hinder party's momentum
- House panel seeks to curb military sexual assaults
- Amid immigration reform, calls to change asylums