‘You’re Screwed’: Jon Stewart Excoriates Obama’s Fundraising Efforts
Jon Stewart dedicated a portion of his show yesterday to the state of fundraising in the presidential campaign, both lambasting the president’s recent efforts, and offering his own suggestions.
He began in a somber tone: “[As] you know the presidential election [is] less than five months away. It’s a time when the American people reflect on the state of the nation and the needs of its citizenry, and examine which presidential candidate’s policy and temperament would best address these urgent and critical times…So that’s our job.”
“Their job is to raise as much f**king money as they can get their hands on, and it appears that is going to come down to the wire,” he continued, before announcing the “Cash of the Titans” segment with a bang.
Stewart soon flashed to a clip that said the president has already attended more than double the fundraisers President Bush attended during his entire first term, before sarcastically saying: “Yeah, I mean maybe if Obama was running against this cat [John Kerry], he could phone it in, too.”
He continued: “Just yesterday, President Obama attended six separate fundraisers…would have been seven but,” he laughed, “that would have been a bit much, don’t you think? I mean come on, he’s the president. He does need some down time to…plan tomorrow’s fundraisers.”
Watch the entire clip, via Comedy Central, below:
|The Daily Show with Jon Stewart||Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c|
|Democalypse 2012 – Cash of the Titans|
From there, Stewart specifically ripped into the president’s fundraising initiative with Vogue’s editor-in-chief Anna Wintour, the woman who loosely inspired the book The Devil Wears Prada.
“I’m glad the president is going to be with Anna Wintour,” Stewart remarked in an ironic tone, “because if there’s two things the American people relate to, it’s the devil, and Prada.”
He then briefly analyzed the relative numbers thus far, noting, “All Obama [has] to do is six fundraisers a day for the next 22 to 23 days and he matches you!” before relating the news that billionaire casino magnate would also be giving $10 million to Romney.
“Mr. President, you’re screwed…You need to think bigger,” Stewart said dramatically, panning to a new camera.
“You need to monetize this presidency,” he declared, not referring to quantitative easing, but to advertising major products from the presidential platform.
As an example, he began: “There’s no reason the next joint session can’t be monetized. Boom,” inserting a giant Coca Cola into the recognized image.
Stewart likely didn’t think about how Michelle Obama or Mayor Bloomberg would feel about the president drinking more than 16 ounces of of the sugary beverage from the podium, before adding “Fellow Americans! The next State of the Union is surprisingly refreshing.”
“And don’t stop there,” he continued. “Remember when you oversaw the killing of Osama bin Laden? You must have known this photo would go viral. You had to think of it as an “assas-itunity.”
Other ideas included $20 per “get out of class free” note, referring to the little boy who received an excused absence after seeing the president speak, and a soundtrack of short clips of Obama singing.
“Hey, is that Obama rock?” a girl asks in a mock commercial voice. “It sure is!” her companion responds, flashing to the two popular clips of Obama singing “Let’s Stay Together” and “Sweet Home Chicago” over and over.
“Those two song fragments can be yours for just $2,500!”
Stewart concluded: “Mr. President you’re a likable guy with a lot of talents…And if you want to remain president, you’re going to have to exploit all of them.”
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 505 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 463 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 461 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 293 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 112 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 211 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 141 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Rare Superman comic found in house insulation
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Suspect in killing of officer found dead in cell
- Jersey shore eyes record-setting summer post Sandy
- 16 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- Obama's drone speech could improve Pakistan ties
- Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested