City in Mich. to Host the Midwest’s First ‘LGBT’ Job Expo
The city of Ferndale, Mich., whose slogan is “Good Neighbors,” is hosting what many are calling the Midwest’s first lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) job expo.
Almost two dozen companies — including Metlife, Merrill Lynch, General Motors, Chrysler, Comerica Bank, Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, The FBI Detroit Branch, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan — have signed on to participate in the event.
Mark McMillian, who works with the advocacy group Affirmations, said the idea behind the job fair is to provide members of the LGBT community with “an open, safe environment to look for a job without fear of discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity,” according to CBS Detroit.
“[M]eaning they can be passed over for a job, and even fired, for their sexual orientation, without any legal recourse,” CBS Detroit adds.
Considering the expo’s proximity to Detroit, whose unemployment rate is a shocking 16.9 percent, and the fact that it’s open to people from all over the Midwest, it’s safe to assume there will be a high turnout. But this raises an interesting question: Do you have to be a member of the LGBT community to attend?
The answer is “no.” The event is open to everyone.
“[T]he Job Expo is open to everyone, regardless of sexual orientation,” McMillian told The Blaze in an email. “As a matter of fact, all of our programs and services are open to the public.”
“Affirmations is hoping to create a safe, welcoming environment for members of the LGBT community since, currently, we can be fired for being Gay or Lesbian in Michigan,” he added.
Front page photo source: Beyond Credentials
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 839 Comments
- White House: ‘Irrelevant Fact’ Where Obama Was During Benghazi 348 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 270 Comments
- CNN Poll: Obama’s Approval Rating Unchanged Since Scandals Hit 241 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 215 Comments
- Beck and Mercury One Head to Oklahoma to Launch Tornado Relief Effort Read More
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 163 Comments
- Israeli Motorists Shocked When Nazi Flag Seen Flying Near Palestinian Mosque Read More
- Did Christian Prayers at Gov’t Meetings in This NY Town Violate the Constitution? 177 Comments
- ‘In the End, Everything Will Be Claimed’: Creator of First 3D-Printed Gun Highlights Creeping Gov’t Control of Technology Read More
- Sebelius’ Controversial Fundraising Efforts Raise Concerns, Allegedly Chase Away Potential Donors Read More
- See All the Viral Backlash Abercrombie & Fitch Has Received for Its CEO’s Comments From Years Ago That Resurfaced Again Read More
- Is This the ‘Smoking Gun’ That Ties the IRS Scandal to the White House? 181 Comments
- Monday Morning Market Roundup: Not Off to Such a Great Start Read More
- This Teen’s Invention Means You Could Charge Your Cellphone in Less Than 30 Seconds Read More
- One of the Most Unlikely Animals Being Trained to Hunt Land Mines Read More
- Woman Who Lost All Limbs to Flesh-Eating Bacteria Gets $200K Bionic Arms Read More
- Why Are These Zoo Keepers Baffled by This Anteater’s Babies? Read More
- Largest Lunar Explosion in NASA History Caught on Video 139 Comments
- Who Has More Viewers…President Obama’s Weekly Address Or The Daily Blazecast?
- Most people don’t think the DOJ was trying to bully the media by secretly taking reporters’ phone records
- Greta Van Susteren says DOJ ‘lucky’ they didn’t hack her emails
- Media Matters has no idea what to do with itself right now
- Caption that photo!: the winner
- Justin Bieber's monkey to become German property
- AP photographer describes destroyed Okla. school
- Former IRS commissioner heads to Hill amid scandal
- Policy, discretion guide media sources probes
- Roadside bomb kills 6 policemen in Afghanistan
- Charismatic Las Vegas mob lawyer mayor pens memoir
- Police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- O'Malley using agenda, fundraising to explore 2016