Pastor Pleads for Return of Food Delivery Truck Stolen From Chicago Food Pantry
Times are tough. The down economy has made life even more cumbersome for America’s poor, which is why a tragic story about theft coming out of West Pullman, Chicago, is that much more infuriating. Police are currently searching for a food pantry delivery truck that was stolen from a pastor who purchased the vehicle just two weeks ago.
The Rev. Virgil Jones is speaking out about the truck, which was being used to transport food to people in grave need. After parking it outside of the Mother Jones Food Pantry and delivering some food with his personal car, Jones returned to find the large vehicle stolen. Naturally, the faith leader is heartbroken and appealing to the community for help locating it.
“We’ve been here for over four years, everybody in the neighborhood knows what we’re doing,” Jones said. “So, it had to be someone that really didn’t care or didn’t know what we did for the community.”
Watch the CBS report, below, for more:
According to CBS Chicago, Jones believes that someone towed the truck, as there was no smashed glass to indicate that it had been broken into. Additionally, he noticed tracks on the grass, indicating that the vehicle was dragged.
The truck was a much-needed tool for the ministry, as Jones and his team have been picking up thousands of pounds of food each month. After saving up for quite a long time and finally purchasing the vehicle, the notion that it is gone before the reverend even received the title is a horrific reality. Now, Jones is forced to, once again, use his personal car to pick up food.
“We pick up between 6,000 and 9,000 pounds of food – sometimes twice a month. We pick up food three times a month from the Greater Food Depository,” Jones explained. “I need a big truck.”
With the community relying heavily on the faith leader, he’s hoping and praying that the 17-foot vehicle (a former Budget rental truck) is returned.
(H/T: CBS Chicago)
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 519 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 479 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 465 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 324 Comments
- ‘War in London Tonight’: Rioters Clash With Police Over ‘Cleaver’ Terror Attack (Plus: Read About Hero Mother Who Reportedly Confronted Killers) 294 Comments
- There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor Read More
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) Read More
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 120 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 131 Comments
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Kid Rock, Rolling Stones on scalping, summer tours
- Arellano Felix drug cartel figure pleads guilty
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Iran presidential candidate vows to resist West
- Berlusconi looms large in Rome mayor election