Bill Donohue Slams This Leaked Soros-Sponsored Faith Org’s E-mail Coaching Media Against Catholic Bishops
We’ve told you before about the George Soros-funded organization Faith in Public Life (FPL). As previously reported, Faith in Public Life received a two-year $450,000 grant in 2009 from Soros’ Open Society Institute (partially tied to the group’s work toward achieving immigration reform).
This week, the organization is, once again, finding itself embroiled in controversy. Catholic League President Bill Donohue claims that John Gehring, Catholic outreach coordinator for FPL, recently e-mailed leftist talking points and interview tips to the media. The subject at hand? The controversial contraceptive mandate.
The allegation is based on a leaked e-mail that Donohue intercepted and it comes during the same week that the Catholic Church plans to launch a religious freedom offensive. The top of the supposed e-mail, which is published on the Catholic League’s web site reads, “FOR BACKGROUND PURPOSES ONLY” and it claims that it was addressed to “Reporters, Editors, Columnists.”
“Given the charged political backdrop of this high-profile initiative — five months before a presidential election in which Catholics will be swing voters in key states — it’s important that journalists covering these efforts separate fact from fiction, ask critical questions about the Bishops’ sweeping claims and have access to Catholic experts who can provide clear analysis,” the email reads, going on to provide talking points as well as interview subjects that media outlets are invited to speak with.
One portion of the e-mail even offers up suggested questions that journalists can ask of the Bishops:
Earlier this week, here’s what Donohue wrote about the e-mail:
June 21 marks the beginning of the “Fortnight for Freedom” events, the campaign for religious liberty being conducted by the nation’s bishops. Fair-minded persons may disagree with this effort, but there is something unseemly going on when those who work for a George Soros-funded group are quietly providing talking points to the media. [...]
On June 7, Gehring sent a memo to his buddies in the media (a copy of which was generously leaked to me—click here) instructing them on how to handle the bishops. They should begin by questioning the prelates why the Obama “accommodation” wasn’t good enough. “You have to ask why the bishops can’t take yes for an answer,” he wrote.
Teaching them how to handle the “war on the Catholic Church,” Gehring advises, “Several bishops have used inflammatory and irresponsible rhetoric that conflates a process of working through complex policy issues with a fundamental attack on the Catholic Church.” He also frets over the politicization of the religious liberty campaign, an effort made possible, he neglects to say, because of the politicization of religion by President Obama.
Considering the notion that FLP purportedly sent the e-mail out to journalists in an effort to co-opt the conversation in its favor, The Blaze reached out to Gehring for comment.
“My position on that is that I’m not going to comment,” he said when reached via telephone.
After explaining that refusing to comment would likely create even more questions in the minds of readers, he reiterated his choice not to provide statements about the e-mail (read the full e-mail here).
“Gehring provides a go-to list of Catholic activists who can be counted on to subvert the bishops’ message,” Donohue concludes in his blog post. “It’s what we would expect from a George Soros group.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,038 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 437 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 313 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 254 Comments
- Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Helping Change Americans’ Views on Gay Marriage Read More
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 166 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 114 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) 103 Comments
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 136 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Lowe's 1Q profit rises, chilly spring hurts sales
- US auto factories cutting back on summer downtime
- Chinese premier visits Pakistan, praises ties
- EU leaders discuss fight against tax evasion
- Octogenarians race to be oldest Everest climber
- Iran's Ahmadinejad denounces election decision
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Diplomats: Iran expands nuke technology