‘Mom, Dad, I’m a Democrat’: The Worst Attempt at Outreach to Republicans You’ll See This Week
Democrats know all too well that making inroads in traditionally conservative states can be hard. And indeed, trying to appeal to the constituents in those states has led to a number of experimental campaign methods designed to reach those voters. Sometimes those ideas work. Other times, they don’t.
And sometimes they’re cringe-inducingly awful. Like this new video, released by the campaign of Utah House candidate Ryan Combe, which manages to simultaneously come off as defensive and sanctimonious while making the younger generation look unfathomably naive in the process:
Where do we even start? How about with this comment on Gawker, which first dug up the story:
This poor soul doesn’t even have the luxury of laughing at the ad, which will probably drive thousands of parents of college-aged children into the GOP. After all, the young man in the video sounds exactly like so many other young people who come home after having taken an American Studies class in college, and get into a huge shouting match at the Thanksgiving Table. But since we’re gluttons for punishment, let’s try revising this ad so it’s more honest. The following sentences in bold are actual claims about what the Democratic party believes that the ad makes. Our revisions follow.
“I just want to help those less fortunate than I am.”
…by making it illegal to feed the homeless.
“I don’t want my student loan rates to go up…”
Which is why I support a party that turns down deals to stop precisely that.
“…but not at the expense of women and children’s preventative health care.”
…especially not “preventative health care” that stops women from having children in the first place.
“We should tax the oil companies to better fund education.”
“I believe that men and women in this country deserve equal rights, and equal opportunity under the law.”
Sorry, you were saying?
“I don’t believe that if someone loses their job or gets sick that they should go bankrupt and lose their homes.”
…which is why I support legislation that makes people lose their jobs, and their healthcare, while propping up institutions like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
“And I believe in good, affordable healthcare for everyone.”
…which is why I support legislation that has been demonstrated to drive up the cost of healthcare.
“Why aren’t you a Democrat? It might not be as bad as you think.”
If these arguments are any guide, it totally is.
This ad reminds us extremely strongly of the “Why I am a Democrat” ad put out by the College Democrats of America a few years back:
You may notice a singular absence in both videos, by the way. Nowhere in either video do the words “freedom,” “liberty” or “justice” appear.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 556 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 507 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 481 Comments
- Obama Doesn’t Return Marine’s Salute, Shakes Hand Instead — Is This a Protocol Misstep? 335 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 333 Comments
- Game-Changing Bombshell? There’s a Major Twist in the Story About a High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 230 Comments
- Is the Boy Scouts’ Gay Amendment the ‘Beginning of the End’ for the Group? (Plus: Tell Us Where You Stand) 231 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ 141 Comments
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 117 Comments
- Lion Named ‘Bonedigger’ and Small Dog Make Most Unlikely Companions Read More
- Rocket Bike Sets Land Speed Record — and Uses a Fuel You Wouldn’t Expect Read More
- How 3D Printing Technology Created a Special Part for Baby’s Windpipe and Saved His Life Read More
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- NYC lawsuit alleging Favre sent racy texts settled
- Trucker bumps I-5 bridge, sees tragedy behind him
- Journalist and author Haynes Johnson dies at 81
- Report: Yahoo, pay-TV operators among Hulu bidders
- Principal recounts storm hitting Oklahoma school
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- McIlroy, Donald miss cut at BMW PGA Championship
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US