Senior POLITICO Reporter Suspended Over Racial Comments About Mitt Romney on MSNBC
POLITICO announced Friday morning it has suspended its senior White House correspondent following some racist remarks he made about GOP Presidential candidate Mitt Romney while appearing on MSNBC’s ”Bashir Live” Thursday afternoon, saying he is only comfortable around other “white folks” who are like him, like the cast of “Fox and Friends” apparently.
Here’s what POLITICO’s Joe Williams said to Martin Bashir on Thursday:
It’s very interesting that he does so many appearances on Fox & Friends and it’s unscripted. It’s the only time they let Mitt off the leash, so to speak. But it also points out a larger problem he’s got to solve if he wants to be successful come this fall: Romney is very, very comfortable, it seems, with people who are like him. That’s one of the reasons why he seems so stiff and awkward in some town hall settings, why he can’t relate to people other than that. But when he comes on Fox & Friends, they’re like him. They’re white folks who are very much relaxed in their own company.
“Regrettably, an unacceptable number of Joe Williams’s public statements on cable and Twitter have called into question his commitment to this responsibility,” POLITICO’s founding editors John Harris and Jim VandeHei wrote in a staff memo, published on its website. “His comment about Governor Romney earlier today on MSNBC fell short of our standards for fairness and judgment in an especially unfortunate way.”
“Following discussion of this matter with editors, Joe has been suspended while we review the matter,” they continued. The founders also said POLITICO journalists have an “inflexible responsibility to cover politics fairly and free of partisan bias.”
Williams has reportedly declined to comment on his remarks.
POLITICO points out that the Washington Free Beacon was the first to post the video of Willams’ comments.
Watch Williams’ racially-charged comments here:
Breitbart.com points out that Williams’ statements on Thursday are hardly out of the ordinary for the White House correspondent. They were able to capture images of a series of his tweets in which he mocks Romney for his wealth, calls NASCAR racist and even makes a penis joke involving Ann Romney:
Though Williams eventually ended up getting suspended, this type of rhetoric is common among several political pundits when referring to Romney. They regularly depict him as a rich, out-of-touch white guy who can’t relate to regular people.
Surely everyone remembers earlier this week when NBC was caught selectively editing a clip of Mitt Romney when he was talking about a trip to a Wawa’s convenience store. The clip was aired on Andrea Mitchell’s MSNBC show. She never apologized, but later played part of the video she left out that helped give context.
To quote Mitchell herself, “It’s amazing.”
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- Shock Video Surfaces: Meat Cleaver-Wielding Man Shouts ‘You People Will Never Be Safe!’ Moments After Gruesome London Attack 484 Comments
- Why Were DHS Agents Seemingly Monitoring Multiple Tea Party IRS Protests Across the Country on Tuesday? 472 Comments
- Confusion Erupts in IRS Hearing After Lois Lerner Tries to Plead the 5th — Watch It All Unfold 462 Comments
- The Tense Exchange Between Rep. Trey Gowdy and the Former IRS Head You’ve Been Waiting for…and It Doesn’t Disappoint 357 Comments
- CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Has Awkward Moment With Okla. Tornado Survivor After Asking If She ‘Thanked the Lord’ 327 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ Read More
- Beck Issues Challenge to People of Faith in Wake of Okla. Tornado: ‘What Have You Done?’ Read More
- ‘Islamic Jihad, Islamic Jihad!: Michelle Malkin Rips Progressives, Clashes With Lib Radio Host Over Islamic Terrorism and the London Machete Attack Read More
- Ariz. Lawmaker Surprises Colleagues, Comes Out as an Atheist While Delivering Daily Prayer Read More
- This Is How Texas Politicians Are Fighting Against the Atheist-Led ‘War on Christmas’ Read More
- Weekly Unemployment Benefits Tumble Read More
- Why Is This German Company Recruiting Tech Staff With Autism? Read More
- House Votes to Speed up Keystone Pipeline: Here’s Everyone Who Voted for and Against It Read More
- Here are the 7 Most Explosive & Informative Moments from Today’s IRS Hearing Read More
- Foreign Banks Operating on U.S. Soil Have Just Set a Record Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 118 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- ‘Middle class champion’ Elizabeth Warren joins Senate Millionaires Club
- Matt Drudge calls MSNBC host ‘squirrely’…
- Emails suggest Treasury delayed alerting Congress to Tea Party targeting scheme
- Karl Rove advises GOP not to threaten impeachment
- Gang of 8 needs to fix massive Obamacare loophole with immigration bill
- Tea party storm largely inside IRS _ so far
- Banned Iranian director Rasoulof coming to Cannes
- US stock market recovers most of an early loss
- Storm took town's youngest as it swept through
- Gunmen kill 7 Iraqi soldiers in central Iraq
- Birth control coverage up for federal appeal
- Seen and heard at the Cannes Film Festival
- Violence in Somalia scares investors, aid workers