Cory Booker Does it Again: N.J. Mayor Shows Up at Accident Scene
Mayor Cory Booker is at it again — sort of.
Two months after he shot to national prominence for rescuing neighbors from a fire, the Newark, N.J. mayor showed up at the scene of a car accident where a pedestrian had just been hit — but it was someone else who did most of the heroics.
“God bless my residents. Pulled up on pedestrian/vehicle accident. We got man stabilized & into ambulance. He’ll b OK. Thanx 2 all who helped,” Booker tweeted Friday afternoon.
Booker told WNBC-TV he helped get water and ice for the victim and comforted the man until an ambulance arrived.
He followed up with a second tweet: “I appreciate the driver. Man ran into traffic. Driver did the right thing & stayed & helped me & others aid man until medical help arrived.”
According to the New Jersey Star-Ledger, law enforcement authorities said a county detective was actually the first on the scene and rendered most of the aid.
“The detective immediately called 911 and began to render assistance,” said Katherine Carter, a spokeswoman for the Essex County Prosecutor’s office. “He saw the victim was face down on the ground. He was bleeding from his mouth and nose. Det. [Michael] Davidson got some tissues from his trunk and began to wipe away the blood.”
Carter said Booker showed up “within minutes,” followed by an ambulance and Newark police.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 494 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 456 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 443 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 334 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 322 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 165 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 114 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Britain braces for possible copycat attacks
- Truck in Wash. span collapse hauled drilling equip
- Cyclist tests positive for EPO, risks life ban
- 18 hurt in shuttle bus crash near Atlanta airport
- US: Czech slaying suspect killed relatives
- NKorean envoy delivers letter to China's president
- China, Switzerland to seal free trade deal
- Defending champ Keselowski tries to build on title