Middle Schoolers Kicked Out of 9/11 Memorial for Throwing Trash in Fountains
A group of Brooklyn middle school students were kicked out of the National September 11 Memorial during a field trip Thursday after they threw trash in the fountains, the New York Daily News reported.
“They kicked us out because of littering in the water. Kids were throwing baseballs in the pond thing,” Junior High School 292 eighth-grader Anthony Price told the newspaper.
Witnesses also reported seeing empty plastic soda bottles and other garbage floating in the water.
“They were making jokes and throwing stuff in the fountain. It didn’t seem like a big deal,” a student told the Daily News.
Michael Frazier, a spokesman for the memorial, confirmed the students were removed for throwing items in the reflecting pools, which mark where the Twin Towers once stood.
Another student said their actions were not out of disrespect.
“No one was disrespecting. It wasn’t nothing like that,” the student said. “No one was being serious. Everyone was kind of bored and it was just something to do.”
New York Department of Education officials have launched an investigation into what happened, the Daily News reported.
In a separate incident, students said one of their classmates was caught trying to bring firearm ammunition into the site.
“The kid had three bullets when they went through the metal detector,” a student who wouldn’t give his name told the newspaper.
Police confirmed they found three .33-caliber rounds in a plastic bin in the memorial’s security area but said they did not make any arrests.
The National September 11 Memorial & Museum opened last year on the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks. In December, a Tennessee tourist was arrested after she tried to check her loaded gun at the site. Originally facing up to three years in prison, she took a plea deal that reduced the charge from a felony to a misdemeanor.
Benghazi, IRS, AP...What's next? Only TheBlaze TV offers the truth from Glenn Beck, Andrew Wilkow, and Real News from TheBlaze. Get instant access and a free trial here.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 500 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 461 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 454 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 339 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 323 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 185 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? 124 Comments
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 116 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- Venezuela to create new workers militia
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- 6 Wyeth paintings fetch $2M at NYC auction
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer
- Ruby says her sworn statements were lies
- Barrick fined $16m for Pascua-Lama violations
- Roger Federer, always at Grand Slam tournaments
- Some unions now angry about health care overhaul