New Yorkers Stunned as Plane Flies Swastika Banner Over NYC’s Beaches
Beach attendees were stunned over the weekend after a small plane flew a swastika banner over Long Beach Island, though it could be seen, according to the New York Post, from Manhattan and even the Jersey shore.
“Proswastika.org” was reportedly written on the banner, and the swastika symbol was depicted intertwined with the Star of David.
The Daily Mail gave an image of the symbol:
A group called the International Raelian Movement is claiming responsibility for the stunt, which they say is part of “swastika rehabilitation day,” or making the swastika a positive symbol after World War II gave it a new meaning internationally.
The movement is often described as a “UFO cult,” and reportedly believes that humans were created by advanced scientists known as the Elohim, symbolized by the swastika. They are, therefore, upset that what has historically been a symbol of peace and infinity now symbolizes war and antisemitism.
“We have rehabilitation day to explain the true meaning of the symbol,” Las Vegas-based organizer Thomas Kaenzig said. “The swastika is one of the best traces left by those who created us, and the attempt to bury it as a symbol of violence and hatred only gives credit to the horrible Nazi ideology.”
New York residents remain skeptical, and the Jewish Community Center of Long Beach Island said it wants to know more about the group’s intentions.
“It’s a gorgeous day . . . And some idiot is flying a swastika banner off the tail of his plane up and down Manhattan,” Miguelina Nunez tweeted.
“Society is disgusting,” another commented after seeing the banner, while Jaime Lynn Fusco said: “At the beach today in NYC when a plane passes with a banner with a star of David and a SWASTIKA!!! I couldn’t believe it, Lord help us!”
In a recent article on “swastika rehabilitation day,” the Huffington Post included this video:
- ‘Bigoted, Religious [Zealots]‘: High School Senior Allegedly Expelled, Charged With Felonies Over Gay Relationship With ‘Consenting’ Fellow Student 1,033 Comments
- ‘The Daily Show’ Creator Makes Outrageously Offensive Anti-Conservative Joke About Okla. Tornado 462 Comments
- Washington Times Writer: Fox News Scandal Goes ‘Much Deeper,’ W.H. Sitting on Something Top Obama Aides ‘Terrified’ About 435 Comments
- University Will Investigate Christian Professor’s Intelligent Design Class Following Atheist Furor 309 Comments
- See the First Behind-the-Scenes Photos as Beck and Mercury One Survey the Damage in Okla. 251 Comments
- ‘Death! You F**k!’: Bat Mitzvah Chaperone Unleashes Explosive, Profanity-Laced Tirade Against Kids Over Candy-Throwing Incident Read More
- How Can God Let Tragedies Like the Okla. Tornado Exist? Pastors Weigh In 141 Comments
- Is This Video of Pope Francis Performing an Exorcism? Read More
- Boston Cardinal Snubs Irish PM Over Abortion Support Read More
- Incredible: The Moment a Woman’s Dog Emerges from Rubble During TV Interview Right After She Describes Losing Him 224 Comments
- China Sets off What Could Be the World’s Longest Demolition Read More
- Here are the 5 Most Interesting Moments from Tuesday’s Hearing on the IRS Scandal 103 Comments
- Jay Carney Shifts IRS Timeline (Again!) Read More
- Top IRS Official at Center of Political Targeting Scandal Will Plead the Fifth 132 Comments
- Disgraced IRS Interim Chief Now Fully Admits Knowledge of Planted Question (but Did It Reveal a Past Half-Truth?) Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ Read More
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- How a $4.5 Million Network of 181 Sirens Helped Save Lives in Oklahoma Twister Read More
- See the Record-Setting Python a Man Caught With His Bare Hands (and Guess How Much It Weighed) Read More
- Egypt TV: 7 security men kidnapped in Sinai freed
- Early vote points to close race as LA picks mayor
- Egyptian state TV says 6 policemen, border guard abducted in Sinai have been released
- Spurs blow late lead, beat Grizzlies 93-89 in OT
- US auto factories cutting back on summer downtime
- Trout hits for cycle, drives in 5, Angels rout M's
- Ai Weiwei uses music to mock state power in China
- Sharks tie series with 2-1 win over Kings