Anonymous N.H. Donor Foots $20K Bill for Obama Campaign Visit After Admin Fails to Reimburse City
Officials in Durham, New Hampshire insist they weren’t trying to cause problems for the president’s re-election effort when they requested reimbursement for his Monday campaign stop.
“While pleased that the campaign has chosen Durham, a quintessential New England college community as the backdrop for Monday’s scheduled campaign visit, community leaders do not believe that costs associated with the campaign should be borne by local taxpayers,” town administrator Todd Selig said, estimating the trip would cost between $20,000 and $30,000.
“Our request came from the basic responsibility that a local government has to its residents to ensure that expenses outside our approved budget are recovered in a fair and equitable manner,” Durham council chairman Jay Gooze said in a statement.
They are happy to pay for official presidential visits, city officials clarified, but campaign stops are another matter entirely.
While a Friday CBS article said an Obama official assured the city it would be reimbursed, as of Sunday, it seems, the administration said they wouldn’t pay (ABC reports that the campaign “demurred” when the town sought reimbursement).
Now, an anonymous donor has stepped up to the plate and offered up to $20,000 to defray the cost of the president’s visit.
“The donor wanted us to make public his or her sentiment that the town had done the right thing in asking the campaign to do its part,” Town Council Chair Jay Gooze said, adding that they are “very greatful for this generous offer.”
While reports don’t indicate whether or not the president’s team has thanked the donor, it certainly doesn’t bode well for the campaign’s public relations. While they once boasted a billion-dollar 2012 re-election initiative, the Romney campaign raised close to $17 million more than Obama in May, and the National Review is reporting that the campaign spent more than it raised last month.
It also doesn’t help that the campaign now appears dependent on anonymous donors to cover at least one campaign stop, after coming close to swindling the city.
Republicans, however, remain skeptical and the advocacy group Americans for Prosperity has filed a “right to know” request with town administrators seeking the identity of the donor.
“The donor may have business pending before the town, or may be trying to skirt [Federal Election Commission] law, which precludes this sort of donation,” Corey R. Lewandowski, State Director of Americans for Prosperity-New Hampshire, explained.
- John McCain Lectures Tea Party Senator on How ‘Business’ Gets Done in Congress: ‘That’s What We’ve Been Doing for a Couple Hundred Years’ 481 Comments
- Pope Francis’ Sermon Sparks Debate: ‘Even the Atheists’ Have Been Redeemed ‘With the Blood of Christ’ 450 Comments
- Boy Scouts of America Vote to Allow Gay Members 434 Comments
- Anti-Gay Bias or Fair Punishment? New Details Emerge About High School Student’s Lesbian Relationship With a Minor 333 Comments
- Piers Morgan Bans Dana Loesch From His Show Following Twitter Spat: ‘Show Some Bloody Respect’ 319 Comments
- MSNBC Hosts Martin Bashir and Chris Hayes Claim London Machete Killers Aren’t Terrorists: ‘These Are Just Murderers’ Read More
- Did You Catch the Possibly Policy-Changing Ft. Hood Reference in Obama’s Terror Speech? Read More
- Dem. Rep. Apologizes for Attending ‘Racist, Anti-Semitic and Homophobic’ Speech Read More
- Church vs. State Complaint Leads City to Remove Christian Crosses on Water Tower — Now See What They’ve Been Replaced With 138 Comments
- Faith-Healing Parents Charged With Murder for Refusing Kids’ Medical Care — Should They Go to Prison? Read More
- Have You Had Scotch at a NJ TGI Friday’s Lately? You Might Have Been Drinking Rubbing Alcohol Read More
- Venezuelan President Blames Toilet Paper Shortage on the Rich Read More
- This Terrible Chart Shows the Change in Food Stamp Participation Over the Last 10 Years Read More
- Disney Makes Absolutely Mortifying Photoshop Mistake Read More
- Trey Gowdy at It Again — This Time with a Jack Bauer Reference! 114 Comments
- 6 Fascinating Spy Gadgets You’ll Probably Want (and Can Have) After Seeing Read More
- How Would a 3D-Printed Shotgun Slug Hold Up? Here’s the Test Read More
- The Incredible Role Facebook Played in the Aftermath of Devastating Okla. Tornado Read More
- Tech Company Demonstrates Remote Disabling of a ‘Smart Gun’ 130 Comments
- Meet the Blind Man Nicknamed ‘Midnight Gunslinger’ Who Has 80% Shot Accuracy Read More
- 3 al-Qaida members, 2 soldiers dead in Yemen clash
- Some damage reported from 5.7 quake in N. Calif.
- Obama: Sexual assault threatens trust in military
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted, 2 men arrested
- Hurricane center: Beware of the storm surge
- Kid Rock, Rolling Stones on scalping, summer tours
- News Corp. board approves split, stock buyback